New Medal Proposition

Everything that does not fit into the catagories below.

Moderators: Moderators, General Forum Moderators

Should a "Creativity Medal" be awarded in Contests??

No!!
14%
Yes, for every contest.
34%
Yes, but only for those solutions which are VERY creative.
52%

Total votes : 29

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:29 pm

But I think that making Design medals and Creativity medals count differently is a good idea because (currently) you could be the ultimate creative person but not be recognized as such (at least to outsiders. I know everyone knows everyone here...) because you could only have gotten a max of 7 medals from design contests.
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby McGinge » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:30 pm

JustcallmeDrago wrote:But I think that making Design medals and Creativity medals count differently is a good idea because (currently) you could be the ultimate creative person but not be recognized as such (at least to outsiders. I know everyone knows everyone here...) because you could only have gotten a max of 7 medals from design contests.

Totally agree; also the fact that being able to design something really cool and being able to solve levels really creatively are different traits...
In an ideal world, where anything and everything is in perfect form, is there a perfect form of imperfection?

Work THAT one out! :)
McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:34 pm

McGinge wrote:Totally agree; also the fact that being able to design something really cool and being able to solve levels really creatively are different traits...

Do you mean... Cheaply?

But yes. yes! Supporters unite!
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby FF » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:42 pm

I'm hardly against creativity medal and voted "No"
FF
Light Master

Postby McGinge » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:59 pm

What do you mean... Your not against it but still voted no??
In an ideal world, where anything and everything is in perfect form, is there a perfect form of imperfection?

McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:04 pm

I know...

Maybe he said it like he was disproving someone else by giving himself as an example.

"Well I'm hardly against it and voted No."

Easy example of what I'm talking about:
Person 1: No one is male!
Person 2: I'm male.
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby FF » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:39 pm

English is not my native language. So, mistakes are unavoidable :(
1)I am against creativity medal.
2)I dont like it.
3)I think it is bad idea.
I'm shure some of this phrases means what I mean.

I just think that there is no necessity for this prize. There are always a lot of "for fun" entries anyway.

There is no good criteria to deside if this solution creative or not. You (as a host of competition) may mark one of solutions as creative, but giving a special prize will entail only dissension, IMHO.
FF
Light Master

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:55 pm

FF wrote:English is not my native language. So, mistakes are unavoidable :(
1)I am against creativity medal.
2)I dont like it.
3)I think it is bad idea.

Got it.

FF wrote:I just think that there is no necessity for this prize. There are always a lot of "for fun" entries anyway.

I can't agree.

NickyNick wrote:Part of people just don't want to participate in contests, they are not interested in it. I know guys who don't play competitions but do designing different cool stuff.

FF wrote:There is no good criteria to deside if this solution creative or not. You (as a host of competition) may mark one of solutions as creative, but giving a special prize will entail only dissension, IMHO.

If you mean because of cheating...

fringD wrote:All this worry about cheating is ridiculous.

The medals can't be sold for money. Each person who runs the contest is going to be a winner of a previous contest. I trust contest winners to simply award the creativity medal to the solution they think is most creative.

It's not so important to even have a medal appear next to your name. It'd be enough for me if the person who hosts simply types "Creativity Medal: fringD" That's all the props I'd need for encouragement.

I can't fathom the mindset that would enjoy lying about that.

And even if they do lie, who cares. So a million creativity awards get awarded to some dufus, so what.

Thanks, FringD.

And even if a contest host isn't trustworthy, I don't think it will be a problem at all because:
:arrow: Surely people will be able to tell that the creativity medal winner didn't really have a creative solution.
:arrow: If two solutions are almost equally creative, who cares because how many times will that happen???
:arrow: If that does happen a lot, how many times will it happen with the same host?
:arrow: And if it happens many times with the same host, won't people start to notice??
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby McGinge » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:51 pm

well said!! :P

McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby jimbojetuk » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:41 am

I dont see the creativity medal as a problem - like said before, 1-2 gets you a rank, 3-4 gets you another rank and 5+ gets you veteran. Its not like beating someone else - its more about how creative you are thinking. because these cant be proven that they are creative, its a matter of opinion, its not like winning a B medal, because there you have proof of winning ie. your score. also it lets noobs like me (and others - im watching you) to get a chance of winning a medal.

So yes a creativity medal should be used in my opinion.
jimbojetuk

Postby McGinge » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:50 pm

jimbojetuk wrote:I dont see the creativity medal as a problem - like said before, 1-2 gets you a rank, 3-4 gets you another rank and 5+ gets you veteran. Its not like beating someone else - its more about how creative you are thinking. because these cant be proven that they are creative, its a matter of opinion, its not like winning a B medal, because there you have proof of winning ie. your score. also it lets noobs like me (and others - im watching you) to get a chance of winning a medal.

So yes a creativity medal should be used in my opinion.

I think thats the general consensus.... Now all we need is a good design; hows about a creativity medal design contest anyone?? :P

McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby tomo » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:51 pm

look... we alredy have matacus where you MUST be creative. we do not need another contest :roll: :roll: :roll:
IF YOU ARE HAPPY AND YOU KNOW IT keep it for yourself
tomo
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby McGinge » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:56 pm

twas a joke dude, altho we probs need to pick a few designs and vote... SHEESH!! :lol:

McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby jimbojetuk » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:19 pm

Ok, how about people make their medals, deadline is say in a week, send them to someone and they make a topic with poll with them all listed there?
jimbojetuk

Postby tomo » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:36 pm

peterT made all medals so he should make creativity medal but! we need to talk more about this medal serisly
IF YOU ARE HAPPY AND YOU KNOW IT keep it for yourself
tomo
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General