New Medal Proposition

Everything that does not fit into the catagories below.

Moderators: Moderators, General Forum Moderators

Should a "Creativity Medal" be awarded in Contests??

No!!
14%
Yes, for every contest.
34%
Yes, but only for those solutions which are VERY creative.
52%

Total votes : 29

Postby McGinge » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:54 am

Yeah Nick, that is what I'm aiming for; solutions for fun!!! Well I think Ike's main arguement was that hosts could just give each other the medals!! Well to be honest if a crap solution gets a creativity medal then people will complain!!! :D
In an ideal world, where anything and everything is in perfect form, is there a perfect form of imperfection?

Work THAT one out! :)
McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:44 pm

McGinge wrote:WOW!!! How long did that take u to write!! :shock: I'm gonna address your points one by one!

Well one of your points seem to be that the N contests should be more exclusive. I like your idea about making it exclusive, although if you did for someone with no medals then it will soon run out of contestants!!! :D Maybe with people with just one medal would be more ideal!

Also, I think Ike's ideas is extremely good, and Drago's is also good regarding design contests. However, even though I think a design contest and creative solution contest are great ideas, I think other forum users would get tired of the 10 different types of contest!!

Anyway great AR commitment Drago!! :D

Too long.

Now, about the contests getting tiresome. There are 3213 users here!!!!
surely at least 1000 are real people :P
and there are only 49 medal winners! are those 49 the "forum users" you're talking about?
i think we might have a large untapped creative population, where 1 creative contest every 51 days (i guess you might include the C-League though) just doesn't suffice!

2 of each of the creative and design contests could be perfect. could be. i don't really know. :?

i do like your point about the newtimer league. but if there're actually plenty of users that come here but don't participate in even the N-contests cuz they don't think they're good enough. it doesn't help that armadillo lords are posting their scores because they do EVERY contest, even if they cant win it. i think this is scaring new competition off because the newbs (not n00bs!) haven't learned to ignore that in the N-competition. anyway, if this was the case, a super-new league might attract enough people that it could sustain itself even if it only allowed new newcomers.

but how about having req's for the now A-league??

NickyNick wrote:I think that the best time duration for Matacus Contest is 2 weeks, and 2 weeks more for voting.

sounds too long for me. how long did it take you to make that pinball level?
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby McGinge » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:55 pm

Yeah 49 people!!! Plus those who havent won medals but participate make around 70 i think; i havent bothered to work it out. Its not enough to sustain 10 contests imo. Also drago, you seem to know an alarming amount for a user who only been on the forum for about a week :shock: :D !!
In an ideal world, where anything and everything is in perfect form, is there a perfect form of imperfection?

McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby NickyNick » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:10 pm

Justcallmedrago wrote:i do like your point about the newtimer league. but if there're actually plenty of users that come here but don't participate in even the N-contests cuz they don't think they're good enough.

Part of people just don't want to participate in contests, they are not interested in it. I know guys who don't play competitions but do designing different cool stuff.

Justcallmedrago wrote:sounds too long for me. how long did it take you to make that pinball level?

I've spent about 3 days for it, or 6 hours of work. Two weeks isn't long at all because it is the problem for most of people here to find free time among the week for playing AR, so they have only holiday(s) for it. So they have 4 days instead of 14.
AR & W:A forever
NickyNick
Champion of Light
Champion of Light

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:11 pm

McGinge wrote:Yeah 49 people!!! Plus those who havent won medals but participate make around 70 i think; i havent bothered to work it out. Its not enough to sustain 10 contests imo. Also drago, you seem to know an alarming amount for a user who only been on the forum for about a week :shock: :D !!

Well actually I've a USER on this forum for a few months, but I found it quite dead (in the non-general contest forums, that is) & The contests were too hard. But I've come Back to AR and ARF again and realized because of your topic - #1255 - maybe more users like me have been turned away because of that. So I'm voicing my opinions!

Oh and... thanks!
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby McGinge » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:40 pm

what was that one on?? lol i cant be arsed to find it :D !! And im glad i managed to convince a user on to the forum. You seem to know a lot, but are you good at the contests?? :D

McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:01 pm

McGinge wrote:what was that one on?? lol i cant be arsed to find it :D !! And im glad i managed to convince a user on to the forum. You seem to know a lot, but are you good at the contests?? :D

:lol: 1255 is this topic, but i didn't know which one i was on so i put the number.

i would so love to have creative contests!! i just don't have the heart to tweak for a long time. i can figure out how to solve a level pretty cheaply, but without tweaking it a bunch to make it work and probably not having the best design, it can't usually compare to other entries, except when i'm lucky.

i hope ill win the current N-leaguer, because i have a better chance since "veterans" can't win. and i liked the level.

that's why i'm really pushing for different contests :P

i really like playing/building levels that are fun to do, and i guess also where you need different tactics for winning. Ikerous said this game is 80% recognition. that... and tweaking! the ideas i have allow unexpected, entertaining solutions, and are open ended so there can be a variety of solutions. also money is not a concern, so most other strategies go out the window!

the last c-league contest was open ended but wasn't all that entertaining. it had good variety. the first matacus (pac-man) looked open ended and entertaining, too.
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby McGinge » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:02 pm

wow nice observations. whats ur current score on N? mines 1930 even im not allowed to play :( :D

McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:34 pm

i'll pm you it!

anyway, i took another glance at the number of registered users, and now its 3234, up from 3213.

also, the "newest registered user" is fringD. i think this is broken :shock:
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby NickyNick » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:38 pm

PeterT updates "newest registered user" manually.
NickyNick
Champion of Light
Champion of Light

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:40 pm

oh, too bad. cant you code that?
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby McGinge » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:05 pm

You would have thought so!

McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby NickyNick » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:48 pm

Justcallmedrago wrote:oh, too bad. cant you code that?

Unfortunately I have no admin rights, so I can't :(
NickyNick
Champion of Light
Champion of Light

Postby McGinge » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:52 pm

Who does???

McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby Overlord » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:58 pm

PeterT or peterstock, I think it's the same person.
All ARFC A contests and solutions 1st-255th: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2245
A tool to copy .lvl2 files to \Levels dir when opened: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2374
Overlord
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General