ARedit

Everything about the level editing process.

Moderator: Moderators

ARedit

Postby Andrew » Sat May 08, 2010 9:16 pm

From time to time I get people requesting AREdit... (AREdit is a program I made a long time ago to add advanced editing capabilities for AR levels).
The old download address doesn't work but I put it up again at http://www.tuc.co.nz/aredit.zip
Note that it's not a new version, I haven't touched it for years, but you still might find it useful for certain things.
Andrew
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Re: ARedit

Postby markmadras » Sat May 08, 2010 10:41 pm

Nice to see that available again but it doesn't associate with .lvl2 files for AR2, any chance you could upgrade it :D
markmadras

Postby Andrew » Sun May 09, 2010 4:49 pm

I'm assuming there are file format differences between lvl and lvl2... I might have a look into it.
Andrew
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby Andrew » Mon May 10, 2010 5:11 pm

Right well I looked into it... then I got carried away.
Now it does work with lvl2 files, mostly anyway. If you have multiple armadillos/portals then things will almost certainly go wrong, because the way this works in ar2 has changed a bit.
I also added SVG import, so you can use a fully featured drawing program like Inkscape to design an amazing level and then import it into AREdit... or just load up any old SVG file you like. Note that it's only very basic support, and only handles straight lines in the svg -- everything else is ignored.
Also added is the ability to change multiple items to another type. Just group select them and then go to the "multi tab".
Undo now works properly too (most of the time).
Anyway get it at http://www.tuc.co.nz/aredit.zip .. enjoy.
Last edited by Andrew on Mon May 10, 2010 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby markmadras » Mon May 10, 2010 5:23 pm

Thanks Andrew, I'll have some fun with that, never used it much with AR1 so here goes :D
markmadras

Postby ioncorpse » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:24 pm

Do you have an idea, why Areditor doesn't handle solution files, only level? (Error when try to open solution in AR after changing in editor) :( :( :(
Feel the Power of the Dark Side.
ioncorpse
Champion of Darkness
Champion of Darkness

Postby Andrew » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:50 pm

Well there are minor differences between level files and solutions... I'm not entirely sure why this is though but I haven't bothered to fix it as it's a good thing, there can be no allegations of cheating by using an external editor.
Andrew
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby ioncorpse » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:05 pm

I don't think that it's a cheat. We all used ARTweaker in AR1. Because main problem was in that without it, for example if competitive solution needs some very tweaky but obvious structure which can be tweaked in 1-2 hours without tweaker and 1-5 minutes with tweaker - winner is a person who have more free time...

Seems to be we have to tolerate and wait while Peter will release new version, he promised to include advanced editor in AR. :D
ioncorpse
Champion of Darkness
Champion of Darkness

Postby rob » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:39 pm

I never used artweaker but I assume it can't do anything that can not be done with standard editor. Aredit obviously can do things that can not be done with standard editor. The "weird elements" you created can not be made with standard editor alone. That's why I decided to diskwalify your solution.

The rest of you guys will have to wait untill the results to see what the problem is, I can tell you it's very weird.
rob

Postby ioncorpse » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:57 pm

rob wrote:I never used artweaker but I assume it can't do anything that can not be done with standard editor.

Yes. Only modify X & Y in any way you want. I hope, Peter will add this feature in next version.
ioncorpse
Champion of Darkness
Champion of Darkness

Return to Level creation