Adding In-Level Messages

Everything about the level editing process.

Moderator: Moderators

Adding In-Level Messages

Postby Thrack » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:25 pm

Hello, is there any way to add messages into my levels like those seen in the introductory levels? I have a bunch of spectator levels I was going to upload but you have to use the undo glitch to get most of them working and I need some way to tell/remind the player every time they open my levels.
I was considering writing text using materials but I found that it wont work with a lot of my levels. The reasons for this are
1. Some of my levels take up the entire available screen and any additional materials used for text will interfere.
2. I can't expand the level boundaries to put the text in an out of the way spot because whenever I do it actually breaks most of my levels just by moving the boundaries.
My levels may be examples of chaos theory, change one tiny aspect and the whole system behaves differently.
So, is there any way for me to add messages into my levels? I can't just upload these without telling the player what to do to fix the undo glitch. And besides, it would look much better than using materials.
Thrack
Thrack

Re: Adding In-Level Messages

Postby rob » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:06 pm

As I don't think it''s currently possible I added your request to the "AR2 bugs and new features" thread
rob

Postby markmadras » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:44 pm

I'd agree with Rob, at present there is no way of adding text to a level other then using materials to spell it out which in most cases is not practical.

Tell me, why are you having to use the undo glitch to get your levels to work :? , is this because they were created in AR1 and you are trying to run them in AR2. If so, this is not necessary. Every person that has the new AR2 will also have the original AR1 as this is included in all upgrades and new purchases.
markmadras

Postby Thrack » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:18 pm

Markmadras, I am running them in AR1 and they have always had this problem. Here, I'll upload a few to show you.
Also, although I have not downloaded the AR2 Beta yet I am certain that most if not all of my levels will break in AR2, and not because of dark forces (only my 5th level relies on dark forces).
By the way, the ninth level is my favorite and one of the few that doesn't have the undo glitch, I just noticed.
Attachments
Thrack's Ninth Spectator.lvl
(5.94 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
Thrack's Sixth Spectator.lvl
(8.83 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
Thrack's Fourth Spectator.lvl
(5.46 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
Thrack
Thrack

Postby markmadras » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:17 pm

Nice levels, I played with the faulty ones see if these work :D
Attachments
Thrack's Fourth cured.lvl
(5.53 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
Thrack's sixth cured.lvl
(8.84 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
markmadras

Postby Thrack » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:01 pm

You've encouraged me to tweak the undo glitch out of my levels now. :D I think I had been avoiding tweaking them because there's no telling what it will break. And after tweaking level 10 for half an hour I know that the tiniest tweak will break anything.
I'll include a zip file with all my spectator levels, the new level ten, and a text file I made earlier listing the levels with the undo glitch. Interestingly, level 10 now breaks if I try to use the undo glitch but works fine if I don't.
I might replace levels 4 and 6 with your versions if you don't mind, although I prefer my version of level four because the rocket is still used for something at the end so I might try to modify that.

Edit: I should have fixed level 12 too, all I needed to do was remove the timers. Oh well.
Attachments
Thrack's Spectator Levels.zip
(37.05 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
Thrack
Thrack

Postby markmadras » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:33 pm

You are more than welcome to use the levels I fixed. In "four" I tweaked it so the rocket hit the Dillo into the portal so I am a bit confused by your comment :?

I'll have a go at all the levels and see what I can do, just for the fun of it :D .

You should find that the undo glitch doesn't exist in AR2 so when you move on to that there should be no more need for re-tweaking :D . It is also far easier to tweak a level in AR2 without each tweak having a knock on effect, the tweaky level is no more :D .
markmadras

Postby Thrack » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:52 pm

markmadras wrote:You are more than welcome to use the levels I fixed. In "four" I tweaked it so the rocket hit the Dillo into the portal so I am a bit confused by your comment :?
That's true but the Armadillo is perfectly capable of getting to the portal on its own, the rocket only makes it roll faster. I put a timer on the rocket to verify this.
markmadras wrote:It is also far easier to tweak a level in AR2 without each tweak having a knock on effect, the tweaky level is no more :D .
Cool, I'll probably download AR2 this weekend and see if it has any affect on how I usually design my spectator levels.
Thrack
Thrack

Postby markmadras » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:21 pm

I think 5 is OK now :D 13 could take a bit longer there is so much going on when the funnel falls apart and lets the Dillo out of the bottom, tweak any node in the area and it fails. Wasn't sure what to do with 12, don't know what you had in mind. All the rest seem to be OK :D
Attachments
Thrack's Spectator 5.lvl
(5.96 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
markmadras

Postby Thrack » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:36 pm

12 was just a random and you can do anything you want to with it, but removing a couple of timers fixes it.
I tried to fix 13 too and had the same problem. Good luck with that. :D I'll look at your solution to 5 in a few minutes when I have a chance.
Thrack
Thrack

Return to Level creation