School competition level

Everything about the level editing process.

Moderator: Moderators

School competition level

Postby beonny » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:22 pm

Hi everyone,

I am planning on using Armadillo run for a school competition for A level physics students.

The entrants will be shown briefly how the game works, and will work through the training levels. Then they will have 45 minutes to work on solutions to some created levels. I want these to be simple structural problems, that any regular A level physics student should be able to have a go at without needing any prior knowledge of the game. I was going to offer points for a) the fastest working solution and b) the cheapest solution.

I was thinking of grouping these into a set so that they had to complete one before moving onto the next.

Does anyone have any suggestions for level ideas? Or anything else?

Cheers,
Ben
beonny
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Re: School competition level

Postby straubitude » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:38 pm

That sounds like a great idea! I'll be taking Cal-Based Physics 1 & 2 next year, and I'm hoping we get to do fun stuff like that.

Some ideas: some kind of gap perhaps, requiring a bridge-like structure; something where the 'dillo starts well below the portal so a pulley, rocket, compressed rubber, or tensioned elastic is needed to raise the ball; that kind of thing...
straubitude

Re: School competition level

Postby beonny » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:23 pm

I was thinking I might just get them to use the standard competition levels, why try and reinvent the wheel! They're good levels afterall.

I was thinking of scoring in $, so using the budget remaining, but giving a bonus for each level they complete, say $25 per level. Question is, how many levels do you think they might get through in 45 minutes and how big should the bonus be?

Cheers,
Ben
beonny
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Return to Level creation