controlling the armadillo's rotation

Everything about the level editing process.

Moderator: Moderators

controlling the armadillo's rotation

Postby smjjames » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:32 am

What I'm talking about the force bug where you create a small square or rectangle (or whatever shape) out of cloth, put the dillo inside and it spins. I don't know if there is a set name for it already, but if there isn't, I think it could be called the 'Sonic the Armadillo bug' :) (or just Sonic Armadillo) a reference to Sonic the Hedgehog.

Anyways, my question is, how do you control the direction that it spins in? I can't seem to figure it out because the number of pieces doesn't seem to matter, although it does change direction when it cones to a sudden stop or it follows the slope when it lands, although not consistently.

I know I just mentioned two ways it could change direction, but I just want to see if others can figure out the exact workings. Plus others have more experience using the force than me, so... :)
smjjames

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:01 am

Shh! Shh!! Edit the post, that's my idea for something!

I think that force is pretty much random past the point of spinning in the direction dillo starts in. If dillo rolls down a slope, the spin will be increased so he goes down faster. If the dillo is pushed up a slope, He will be rolling (most likely) in the upward direction and spin that way too.
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby smjjames » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:15 am

lol, I just thought it would be a good name for this bug since it didn't seem to have been given a name by the AR community.

It's simply a direct reference to Sonic The Hedgehog since I used cloth (metal is too brittle and rubber is heavy) and the cloth is blue. Although the cloth breaks (out of sheer inertia I think) before armadillo even reaches a speed that would even be called sonic.

Anyways, I wasn't trying to steal anybodys idea, I was playing around in edit mode and was just curious
smjjames

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:18 am

Yeah, It's a very cool bug. On the Design contest forum, there was talk about new themes and one of them was "design a video game". Ideas were tetris, mario, and pacman.

Well, I thought exactly what you did. :D
Last edited by JustcallmeDrago on Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby smjjames » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:28 am

cool :)

hope you find a way to keep whatever has been squeezed around the armadillo from shattering in the middle of the level though. Rubber also works, but it's heavy and breaks easily under high tension. I haven't gotten metal plates to work without them shattering.

Still, I'm sure you can find a cool solution for what you're doing :)
smjjames

Postby NickyNick » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:55 pm

AR & W:A forever
NickyNick
Champion of Light
Champion of Light

Postby smjjames » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:53 pm

I still think Sonic Armadillo is a cooler name for the bug, lol :) Even though it already has a name apparently.
smjjames

Return to Level creation