Walking machines

Everything about the level editing process.

Moderator: Moderators

Walking machines

Postby manored » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:50 pm

There are all types of machines that use all sorts of stuff to move around, but has anyone ever made one that moves using something similar to legs? :)
manored

Postby NeXFerret » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:51 pm

The materials in Armadillo Run are simply too fragile for anything fast or useful. There are toys though that may work. I shall get back to you.
The bakeries begin to amass millions as a new product emerges; Armadillo Buns!
NeXFerret

Postby Overlord » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:54 pm

All ARFC A contests and solutions 1st-255th: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2245
A tool to copy .lvl2 files to \Levels dir when opened: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2374
Overlord
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby NeXFerret » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:59 pm

None of them really worked too well; I suspect the few that did were simply vibrating their way down unnoticably gentle slopes.
NeXFerret

Postby smjjames » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:09 am

you would also need a way to make connectors act like muscles for proper leg movement, and like NeXFerret said, the materials are just too flimsy. Also, we can't make a metal bar into one long single column and not a chain, which is kind of neccesary in order to make proper legs.
smjjames

Postby TSchultz » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:41 am

smjjames wrote:we can't make a metal bar into one long single column and not a chain

Yes we can! :D
TSchultz
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:42 am

You can make long metal bars with AREdit, a program that can make
:arrow: extra long (basically infinite) metal, rubber and rocket pieces,
:arrow: allows you to put nodes in exact places (by coordinates),
:arrow: have tension greater than +/-100%,
:arrow: huge (infinite?) level boundaries,
:arrow: multiple armadillos (and portals, one portal per dillo),
:arrow: different sized armadillos,
:arrow: timers over 60 seconds
:arrow: materials outside of level boundaries (?)

and other things which I cannot recall at the moment.

Basically it's awesome for cool (hacked) levels. It has been used many times in contests.

What was my point again?

Oh yeah. You can do that, but it also gets rid of points on the "leg" to put your "muscles" if you don't want to put them on the very end of everything.
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby smjjames » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:24 am

that stuff sounds cool, although I probably should practice making stuff with the standard setup first before taking on the more advanced mods as I did get the full game a couple days ago and I'm still figuring some things out. Like that force thing, one form of which I did stumble onto on my own. I don't know what you guys call it here, but I did use it on the level 17 catapult that I uploaded to the thread of the same name (of the level) on the built in levels forum.

Anyways, what I meant about muscles would be something that has the ability to contract and expand, or rather contract repeatedly since real muscles can only contract. The tension would act as the same type of force, but I don't know if its possible to have a rope or elastic (would make more sense with elastic though) contract (high tension), release, then contract again with AR's physics engine. However you guys have made some cool sounding mods already, so maybe some kind of mod to the physics engine could achieve this.
smjjames

Postby TSchultz » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:38 am

The mods are only for the level data, which has nothing to do with the physics engines. (The editing program affect change the .exe), so you couldn't do that. You can do similar things with the force and cam like thingies though.
TSchultz
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby beejamin » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:29 pm

I had a crack at this for matacus 5, but never managed to get it to work. My idea was to use pistons and hinges instead of muscles - there are plenty of piston designs out there. The problem with that is you need slow, steady movement which can work against serious resistance without breaking.

I ended up building a huge, heavy flywheel to keep the motion slow and even, which did work nicely, but then to make something mobile and able to walk, you can't hang this big, heavy wheel off of a fixed node - it's all got to be supported by the legs...sigh

So, long story short, it's really hard, if not yet proven impossible. Maybe if we had 'carbon fibre' in our materials list...
beejamin

Postby smjjames » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:23 pm

yea, having something like carbon fibre would be a cool addition, would have to be expensive though to prevent overuse in contests and levels.
smjjames

Postby NeXFerret » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:43 pm

As would springs - rubber, only in the metal bars layer.
NeXFerret

Re: Walking machines

Postby Voltrillian » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:13 am

its impossible because the legs would have to overlap and that cant be done
Voltrillian

Postby ddavex » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:31 pm

Voltrillian wrote:its impossible because the legs would have to overlap and that cant be done

No, one leg could be made of metal bars, the other out of metal sheets. As long as the surface it is walking on has both then it'd work.

Or, you could have a multi-legged creature, see attached. It walks in so much that its body doesn't touch the floor.

walking octopus.lvl
(2.47 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
ddavex
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby EsEnEm » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:06 pm

TECHNICALLY and SCIENTIFICALLY... that octopus isnt walikng, its rotating... wiki search "walking" if u disagree ;)
EsEnEm

Next

Return to Level creation