Anyone made a Perpetual Motion Machine?

Everything about the level editing process.

Moderator: Moderators

Anyone made a Perpetual Motion Machine?

Postby dudiobugtron » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:17 am

Just wondering if it is possible to make a 'perpetual motion' machine, without using rockets or 'the force' perpetually (rockets to start it off is fine of course).

That thing where the cloth starts inside the armadillo and makes it 'force' itself along got me thinking - how cool would it be if you could do it without 'cheating' :wink: ? I haven't had any luck, but I haven't given up hope yet.

Anyone got a tale of success or failure to share?
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby BioDroid » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:42 am

I dont see why it should be a problem to make such machine. Im gonna try tomorrow :)
BioDroid

Postby tmcsweeney » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:33 am

The classic fallacy.

Without some input of force the friction in the game will eventually rob your machine of all it's energy.
tmcsweeney

Postby Running-Armadillo » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:25 pm

Actutually, I went into a book store yesterday and read about that, It was explaining why a perpetual energy machince couldnt work, and that gravity would have to be lighter, etc. It was 15 pages long so I dont think I would be able to remember it :D but I do think this could be achieved, given that we still ahve rockets in the game which provinde force force for the armadillo to move around the level, because i dont think thats cheating, because its a regular part of the game. so heres a level: http://storeandserve.com/download/30809 ... r.lvl.html

[RA]
The Thirteen Year-Old Genius.
Running-Armadillo

Re: Anyone made a Perpetual Motion Machine?

Postby tmcsweeney » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:39 pm

The devil is in the details:
dudiobugtron wrote:...without using rockets or 'the force'...
tmcsweeney

Postby Running-Armadillo » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:59 pm

Ahhh! My eyes have betrayed me! Oh well, I just made that level for fun, but I dont think its possible now.. lol
The Thirteen Year-Old Genius.
Running-Armadillo

Postby dudiobugtron » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:02 pm

tmcsweeney wrote:The classic fallacy.

Without some input of force the friction in the game will eventually rob your machine of all it's energy.

I assume there isn't air friction (you would know though!!) - I'm sure it's possible to create some system with no 'rubbing' which still makes stuff move.

I guess my question can be rephrased as:

How realistic is the in game friction?
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby Frate » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:57 pm

Well, if you use rockets in an non-lame way (eg if you make an spinning machine you don't have it ON it so it spins, but have it inside, i'll explain in screenshots, it's easier)
Frate

Postby BFC » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:16 pm

just wondering if it is possible to make a 'perpetual motion' machine, without using rockets or 'the force' perpetually (rockets to start it off is fine of course).

I think rockets are excluded in the original post. Also, without a "force" effect from the force bug it's impossible to build a perpetual motion machine due to friction losses. Anything that moves perpetually is experiencing a bug in the physics engine unless it uses rockets.

-BFC
BFC
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby dudiobugtron » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:55 am

BFC wrote:
just wondering if it is possible to make a 'perpetual motion' machine, without using rockets or 'the force' perpetually (rockets to start it off is fine of course).

I think rockets are excluded in the original post. Also, without a "force" effect from the force bug it's impossible to build a perpetual motion machine due to friction losses. Anything that moves perpetually is experiencing a bug in the physics engine unless it uses rockets.

-BFC

Hmm, I guess that is a good (albeit convenient) definition of 'the force'.

So that thing where the armadillo spins slowly when it's between two anchored metal plates is the force too huh? damn!

However I have thought of one - I would wager that there is no real ground and that the armadillo (if that 'failed' message didn't come up) would continue falling forever. Thoughts? :wink:
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby BFC » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:21 am

So that thing where the armadillo spins slowly when it's between two anchored metal plates is the force too huh?

While this is definitely a bug it's not really avoidable so it doesn't fall into the same area as 'the force'. "The Force" is really when you use the bug to propel the 'Dillo or another structure intentionally. I'm sure there are many times during the simulation of a level where this physics bug we see manifest as the force comes into play but is completely out of our control. Pretty much if you can't do it in real life then it shouldn't happen here either. Unless the creator of the game wants to make an official post that the physics in AR are not meant to simulate exactly physics as we know it today.

I agree with your assumption that the 'Dillo falls forever :)

-BFC
BFC
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby BioDroid » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:46 am

This is a'perpetual motion' trampoline I just made 8) -->

http://www.home.no/biodroid/trampoline.lvl
BioDroid

Postby BFC » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:11 am

This trampoline is a very good example of the fact that the force bug is present in a great many of the "legit" solutions we have today for many levels. Without the force bug this trampoline you created would not work like it does. Obviously it's completely out of our control as the structure you made here is 100% "legal" so to speak and yet it is clearly experiencing the force bug.

It is a physical impossibility to have perpetual motion without some type of external force/energy being used.

Thanks for posting this.

-BFC
BFC
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby BioDroid » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:12 am

BioDroid

Postby .ch » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:50 am

Hey, check this out:

http://armadillo.metaclassofnil.com/for ... =1488#1488

The rubber "wheel" is quite interesting! It's is kind of like a perpetual motion machine!
"Give me a rocket big enough and I'll move the simulation" -Archidillo

Join me on Halo Crusades!
.ch

Next

Return to Level creation