Anyone made a Perpetual Motion Machine?

Everything about the level editing process.

Moderator: Moderators

Perpetual motion wheel

Postby Goldensunboy » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:43 am

I managed to make a perpetual motion wheel, with no rockets or force. It's slow and weak, but perpetual, nonetheless. I guess this possibility spawns from there being no air resistance or friction on rotation around an anchor. I made a tiny wheel with four spokes and it didn't work, then a super-huge wheel, with 20+ spokes and about 5 bar lengths in diameter, and it lost momentum. Only the medium sized wheels, like ones with 8 long spokes fare the best, or so it seems. I haven't researched this much.
Attachments
GSB - Perpetual Motion.lvl
Gravity-powered wheels.
(7.7 KiB) Downloaded 445 times
Goldensunboy

Postby seanarmadillo » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:51 am

wow nice... this post is really old... but your the only one thats made anything close to the infinite motion
-armadillo master builder-
seanarmadillo
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby Goldensunboy » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 am

Sorry, I'm a little new here... I was registered at another forum once, and usually topics as far down as this one was were usually a few days old. Well, it did seem to spur my imagination when I saw this thread, at least. Is there some sort of general time limit, told or untold, that I should wait before posting? You know, what is considered "bumping a thread" here?
Goldensunboy

Postby GMan » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:59 am

Personally, I don't see a problem with a post like yours. It's the ones that reply like 2 years later with "cool!" that are pretty lame. But posts that are late can be good as long as they contribute in some way, imo.
GMan
GMan
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby NickyNick » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:10 am

It looks very nice :D Though, the momentum that rotates the wheel is created by a modificated Force. Do you hear the "ding-ding-ding" sound? It's the sign of using the Force in the construction. Anyway, this thingy is cool :)
AR & W:A forever
NickyNick
Champion of Light
Champion of Light

Postby Goldensunboy » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:44 pm

Well, I was pretty sure it was perpetual motion... I didn't intentionally put any force in there, you can't find any nodes intersecting bars on the wheels. I suppose the clanking is from the wheel vibrating a little when a bar falls onto a tooth, pushing the wheel around, and vibrating all the other teeth with loose bars laying on them. Or maybe it is some modificated force? Ah, all that matters is I tried. :P
Goldensunboy

Postby dudiobugtron » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:03 am

GMan wrote:Personally, I don't see a problem with a post like yours. It's the ones that reply like 2 years later with "cool!" that are pretty lame. But posts that are late can be good as long as they contribute in some way, imo.

I agree, especially since I made the thread!!

I want a perpetual motion machine :lol:
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby Tyhm » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:28 pm

We just need 2 more objects, Buttered Toast and Cats.
Then I can make a perpetual motion machine...
Tyhm

Postby tomo » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:43 am

lol
tomo
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby seanarmadillo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:12 pm

hey golden sun boy... your not the first to think of this wheel and it is not a modified force check this page out its the second one http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/people/people.htm
-armadillo master builder-
seanarmadillo
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby Njaa » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:29 am

What do you mean by it not being a modified force?
Njaa
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby dudiobugtron » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:27 am

Njaa wrote:What do you mean by it not being a modified force?

I think he means it doesn't use the force. I think it does though :P
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby Dark Lord Pickles » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:42 pm

I cnt make you a perpetual motion machine but if you would like i can make a perpetual stillness machine
War does not determines who is right, it determines who is left.

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.(General Douglas MacArthur)
Dark Lord Pickles

Postby manored » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:17 pm

As far as I know there can be no perpetual motion machine in a ambient with air, since the air friction will eventually slow it down until it stops. But maybe if in future versions we gain control over things like gravit and air pressure on edit mode... :)
manored

Re: Perpetual motion wheel

Postby jimbojetuk » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:36 pm

Goldensunboy wrote:I managed to make a perpetual motion wheel, with no rockets or force. It's slow and weak, but perpetual, nonetheless. I guess this possibility spawns from there being no air resistance or friction on rotation around an anchor. I made a tiny wheel with four spokes and it didn't work, then a super-huge wheel, with 20+ spokes and about 5 bar lengths in diameter, and it lost momentum. Only the medium sized wheels, like ones with 8 long spokes fare the best, or so it seems. I haven't researched this much.

thats very nice. I bet this could be developed to work better.
Im guna have a rtry :)
jimbojetuk

PreviousNext

Return to Level creation