Airships

Share hints for building cheap and/or amusing structures.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby TSchultz » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:48 pm

Congrats to tweaking it so it would fly straight!

Actually... Having it bigger makes it easier to tweak so it flies staight...
Bigger mass/radius=Bigger Moment of Inertia.
This means tweaking one rocket a few pixels could make a big difference in a small airship, but barely any in a large one.

The only problem I'd see at all would be structure. But with 80 rockets, you can have a LOT of metal bars and ropes and what not, so it just seems like It'd maybe take a while to make and not be hard.
TSchultz
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

again, i disagree

Postby dewbydo » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:56 pm

have you tried removing just one metal bar/ rocket in the tail? it wont fly right, or as i intetended, despite that whole small v large thing, it was still fairly hard to make despite what people say, it may be easier for you, but not for me seeing as how i've only had this for less then 5 months
bury your mistakes, or your mistakes will bury you
dewbydo

Re: again, i disagree

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:37 pm

dewbydo wrote:have you tried removing just one metal bar/ rocket in the tail?

He talked about tweaking. It would be easier since the ship is so much bigger. Removing parts is not comparable to tweaking.
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Re: again, i disagree

Postby TSchultz » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:29 pm

dewbydo wrote:i've only had this for less then 5 months

I've had it less than 4 months....
TSchultz
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

well whatever

Postby dewbydo » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:41 am

alrighty then whatever dont have much else to post except for stupid rollercoasters which everybody has done before
bury your mistakes, or your mistakes will bury you
dewbydo

Postby Dark Lord Pickles » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:08 pm

Earlier on in this thread I was experimenting with Gyroscopic stabilisers which was fatally flawed. However, instead of following different routes, like increasing size, I decided to refine the idea. I have now created what I call a Trans-Directional Stabiliser or TDS for short (its the spinning thing in the center of the airship) It is not complete and only works for about 7 seconds but im hoping someone will know how to fix it. even if you dont know how to fix it take a look anyway.
Attachments
TDS test.lvl
(6.24 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
War does not determines who is right, it determines who is left.

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.(General Douglas MacArthur)
Dark Lord Pickles

Postby TSchultz » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:32 pm

If you take out all the rockets in the spinny thing in the center. It works just as well (I think). Can gyroscopes really help in 2-d?
TSchultz
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby Dark Lord Pickles » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:05 pm

That was the flaw in the previous incarnation. The difference with this is that it doesn't use gyroscopic principles it just spreads the force out in all directions at the same time meaning that their is no major force pushing the ship one way or the other.
War does not determines who is right, it determines who is left.

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.(General Douglas MacArthur)
Dark Lord Pickles

Airships

Postby kuposrock » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:43 pm

I made an airship. it works good, it goes up a little faster then every one else's, and it fly's to the right, im gonna make a jet lol.
Attachments
airship.lvl
here is my airship
(2.67 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
kuposrock

Re: Airships

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:58 am

I improved yours and have completed my own.

Mine is probably the best anyone's made around here. It is a very high-tech design with many innovations developed by me. I'll point out and explain a few of them:

-The hanging stabilizers
These, made from metal plates and rubber, utilize the interactions between consecutive moving objects when any in a group are disturbed. The force is spread between all of the objects, dampening the total effects on movement, therefore minimizing the displacement of the airship over time.

-The spinning stabilizers
by reverse-engineering many gyroscopes, I discovered that their effectiveness at dissipating a force in all directions stems from the fact that their rotational mass is concentrated as far away from the axis of rotation as possible. Therefore, the farther out most of the mass is, the better it works.

-The rope-strung rockets, or "vibration pushers"
Using this system allows small vibrations -that occour from inside and outside the airship!- to be sensed and compensated for. When a vibration is felt, the ropes nearest to the origin of the V-waves contract slightly, moving the tip of the pusher towards the origin and adding a small, extra force in that direction to counter it.

-The elastic outer ring, or "the waistband"
The elastic pieces stretch and contract when parts of the airship move, spreading the flex forces out to more nodes in a farther proximity than there would be without.

Anyway, it took forever to build and test and tweak, but I've finally finished it and it's range of movement is + or - 0.1 armadillo diameters in any direction before coming to rest.
Attachments
Airship_JcmD.lvl
(14.25 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
airship_v2.lvl
(2.9 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

lol wtf O.o

Postby kuposrock » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:02 am

lol u didnt realy do anyhting to mine lol. You just deleted a rocket and fired rockets at it lol.
kuposrock

my new airship

Postby kuposrock » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:55 am

ok i tried out some of your theries but with my airship.

The elastic holding the thing to gether is awsome. By changing the pressure in the front i can change with way the airship moves.

The spining stableizerz work. Im not completely sure but the do accualy kinda stablize it.They look cool too.

The hanging things didnt realy do anything but i left them in there.

So um ya... u can mess around with my airship lol.
I think mines the best in here now lol O.o
Attachments
airship v3.lvl
woo lol
(8.7 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
kuposrock

wait sry for so many posts

Postby kuposrock » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:16 am

i found somethiong wrong with mine it doesnt stablize lol. mines not the best.-_-
kuposrock

Airships

Postby straubitude » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:12 pm

Here's one that I made about a month ago. It remains pretty stable but looks kind of dumb. Also it kind of resembles some of the other ones in this thread.
STRAUBSHIP.lvl
(5.74 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
straubitude

Re: my new airship

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:38 pm

kuposrock wrote:ok i tried out some of your theries but with my airship.
The elastic holding the thing to gether is awsome. By changing the pressure in the front i can change with way the airship moves.
The spining stableizerz work. Im not completely sure but the do accualy kinda stablize it.They look cool too.
The hanging things didnt realy do anything but i left them in there.

... Well. I'm glad they helped! :mrgreen:
-------------
Lol @ straub's ship. Cool art at the bottom
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Building tips