PLs help newbe's

Share hints for building cheap and/or amusing structures.

Moderator: Moderators

PLs help newbe's

Postby luvAR » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:55 pm

Hello all,
I'm a newbe and very upset. I love this game but I see people spending days making levels, contests etc. etc. but no one really explains things like the "force".
Try searching for FORCE, you get " the search criteria too general, no results ". Yes, sorry ther's a thread explaining it but even with a batchlor degree I cldn't understand it.
U work 546 hours for a solution then u see someone did it with a timer and a metal bar ... how ???
How do U apply a timer to to destruct an exsitiing structure or a link ?
How do U apply a metal bar between two occupied links ?
Paddels ? another sad story, I even tried coping some but no luck !!

Hope someone will respond before I choose to uninstall for frustration. Thank you !
luvAR

Re: PLs help newbe's

Postby rob » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:46 am

luvAR wrote:Hello all,
I'm a newbe and very upset. I love this game but I see people spending days making levels, contests etc. etc. but no one really explains things like the "force".
Try searching for FORCE, you get " the search criteria too general, no results ". Yes, sorry ther's a thread explaining it but even with a batchlor degree I cldn't understand it.
!

If you've found that thread you should be able to figure it out. However to compete for the gold medal you are not allowed to use the force. You can score a dark medal with it but the majority of solutions to the contests are light -> no force.
luvAR wrote:U work 546 hours for a solution then u see someone did it with a timer and a metal bar ... how ???

Realy can't tell if you don't specify witch level that happened.
luvAR wrote:How do U apply a timer to to destruct an exsitiing structure or a link ?

You cannot do that, it's impossible.
luvAR wrote:How do U apply a metal bar between two occupied links ?

Simple, just draw the bar. If however they are already connected to eachother you cannot as two points can only be connected to eachother by one piece of material.
luvAR wrote:Paddels ? another sad story, I even tried coping some but no luck !!

I'm no expert on paddles myself, never used one in a contest, sorry
luvAR wrote:Hope someone will respond before I choose to uninstall for frustration. Thank you !

I hope you don't as it's a great game (even without force)
rob

Postby luvAR » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:25 pm

Hi Rob,
Tkx for taking the time to respond.
"How do U apply a timer to to destruct an exsitiing structure or a link ?
You cannot do that, it's impossible."
"U work 546 hours for a solution then u see someone did it with a timer and a metal bar ... how ???
Realy can't tell if you don't specify witch level that happened."
Pls take a moment to look at the following solutions so you can see what I mean:

Level 43 soltion by Hudak_160
Level 44 solution by zx_1047

Thank you again, may the "force" be with you :D
luvAR

Postby JimCDubb » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:50 pm

luvAR,
Welcome. Please don't get frustrated. There is a bit of a learning curve with certain concepts of this game, but that's what makes it so fun.
It took me quite some time to learn to use force paddles and there are still many facets of the dark force that I do not know about. Read through the thread that explains the force and try to duplicate some of the simpler paddles to learn the concept. The first time it spins will be very satisfying. It turns out to be a very interesting part of the game.
Some of your questions can be answered by going through the instructional levels at the beginning of the AR built-in levels, like applying timers, tension and other building tips. (If you have already have done this, it probably wouldn't hurt to breeze through them again.)
Timers however, like Rob said, cannot be added to existing materials, unless it is done in edit mode (found on the opening AR screen). This is the mode where you can design your own levels.

Level 43 solution by Hudak_160
One aspect of the force is that when you overlap materials or endnodes of like materials, the stress created can cause the materials to explode. (If materials are crossed, but the end-nodes don't intersect the material, there is no "force" movement involved. This is called welding and is considered "light.") In this solution, Hudak adds metal bars that overlap existing bars to strategically destroy them. If you zoom in and watch closely in slow mode, you can see this. Sometimes the added materials are added on top of existing materials and are not seen easily.
Incidentally, Hudak is the "inventor" of one specific type of paddle, named after him.

Level 44 solution by zx_1974,
A metal bar is added to the roundish figure and the force causes it to break free and spin. If you delete the added bar (the node is out of place just right of center) you will see the figure does nothing. It's partial destruction and random luck that causes the floor to get broken. A rope is added to the tram to release it and another bar is added to stop it.

Both of these solutions would be considered "dark" :dms: for the contests and would only get a winning trophy in the dark category, if the score is better than the best "light" :lms: solution.
JimCDubb

Return to Building tips