AR2 bugs and new features

Bugs, new features and anything relating to future work.

Moderator: Moderators

AR2 bugs and new features

Postby peterstock » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:11 pm

This thread's for any bugs or new feature requests, so that they all stay together and I don't lose track of them. I'll try to maintain a summary list here for clarity.

These are the things that I think are the most important:

Simulation
  • Explosive links (dynamite)
  • Allow timers to be put on armadillos in level edit mode, so they disappear after a certain time
  • Allow portals to be attached to nodes and movable
  • Option for unlimited length links in level edit mode
  • Allow building links outside level boundary in level edit mode
Editing
  • Toggling nodes between being anchored and non-anchored
  • Functionality for smaller adjustments to node position and tension and timer values
  • Keep selection active after start/stop simulation, to facilitate easier editing
Miscellaneous
  • Make it easily apparent if material/tension/timer prices have changed from the default values
  • Expand/collapse level sets and solutions
  • Make armadillo view for each armadillo
  • Make tracking view for each armadillo as well as all armadillos
  • Review criteria for displaying 'level failed' message
peterstock
Armadillo Run Developer

Re: AR2 bugs and new features

Postby ioncorpse » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:51 pm

Ok. Lets start with easy features then (mentioned before). :)
1. Wind (of course if "wall" is on the way of wind - there is no wind behind the wall)
2. Possibility to create non-rectangular levels, or "death zones" on the level if it's easier. Bug in previous versions allowed to create structures outside the level and it was fun playing such levels.
3. Legal right to create objects of any length you want in editor.
4. Portal can be connected to a node. So it will move if object moves.
5. In editor timer can be put on armadillo itself.
6. Possibility to edit time by typing numbers.
7. Maybe possibility to change friction force? Not sure...
8. Just come to idea... why armadillo is indestructible? It could be fun! =)
9. Some hmm areas moving through which dillo changes its color?
10. In "choose level" menu - hide automatically levels which stored more than one week or so. Same as Windows behavior. It will save some time searching for level.
Feel the Power of the Dark Side.
ioncorpse
Champion of Darkness
Champion of Darkness

Postby Nicknero » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:16 pm

I have no idea if its a bug or not, but the special force tricks, like force paddles, rubber cannon tricks and all that kind of stuff does not work anymore.
That is a pretty shame, because 90% of all spectator levels existed out of those tricks, so they all won't work anymore on version 2.
Nicknero

Postby markmadras » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:38 pm

That's right, none of the so called Dark Force will exist any more, but AR1 will always be included with the new AR2 so it is still there for spectator levels and future contests if required.

The Dark Force was an error in the program and was never intended to be there, the new AR2 is being cleaned of all the known bugs and will have many new features added, some of which have yet to be added to the Beta version.
markmadras

Postby rob » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:01 pm

I've posted some idea's in various threads but to get it all in one place I'll put them here as well.

1 The levelbrowser

2 Make the standard dillo (that can use all portals) and the stadard portal (that can be used by all dillo's) multicolor

3 When viewing a level in trackingmode tracking doesn't work outside level boundaries wich can be very annoying when the portal is outside.

4 When tweaking multiple objects at the same time after every time you test the simulation you have to reselect all objects to move them a bit more. It would be nice that after playback you would go back to editor with all objects still selected that were selected before you pressed start.

5 Give the leveleditor control of the bounce. The current small bounce is good as standard but it would be nice to be able to make a lead dillo or a very bouncy dillo. Preferably as a per-dillo setting so you can have a lead and a bouncy dillo in one level.

6 Enable the construction of anchors/structures outside boundaries when creating levels
rob

Postby ioncorpse » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:36 am

rob wrote:6 Enable the construction of anchors/structures outside boundaries when creating levels

Very powerfull feature. All players will love it. There was a bug in previous version that allowed to do it and to make long single objects, it's bad that it was fixed. :(

The best feature ever IMHO is a script language which will allow players to write scenarios for their levels. For every object events like "OnTouchAnotherObject", OnTimerEvent and so on. Allowing to change objects behavior on fly. But I think it's time consuming, maybe in V3? :)

Forgot about eating dillos... like different colors ARs can be of different type (Simple, Can eat others of lesser size to become bigger (delicious) or lesser(poisoned), "delicious" , "poisoned") :) It's easy and can bring more fun.

And I think that could be interesting for everyone if there will be something like "advaced mode" button. Which will open non basic features which were discussed before. Because for casual players simplicity is good factor and for experienced is not.

About dynamite - does cloth and rope burn if they in the range of explosion? And armadillo? While AR is burning - it make cloth and rope burn also (on touch). :)
ioncorpse
Champion of Darkness
Champion of Darkness

Postby rob » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:49 pm

The contest where I accidentally created one of these is almost over so I thought I'd share this bug (or should I call it a feature? :wink: )
It's not problematic as it is only in a level if the levelcreator wants it to be.

I also have another idea (well, Thrack asked about it in another topic :D ) It would be nice to be able to add text to a level like the totorial levels (the ability to put text anywhere in the level would be even better) It could be used to give extra instructions or rules about the level.
Attachments
FunkyDillos.lvl2
(1.04 KiB) Downloaded 479 times
rob

Postby rob » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:41 pm

I created the 58th A league DarkTower to make a point: Object separation is a very powerfull tool. Just look at this solution.
Attachments
AR2_A_058_DarkTower.POC7200.lvl2
(3.38 KiB) Downloaded 502 times
rob

Postby void » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:38 pm

Minor feature request: I would like the ability to mute or change the sound for the 'dillo entering the portal without disabling sound entirely. I find the rest of the sounds helpful, but this specific one is painful for me.

Pie in the sky: Magnetics would be great, but I can't imagine how badly that would ruin your simulation. :D
void

Postby markmadras » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:29 am

A few ideas.

1. Change the appearence of timers to something much smaller and less of an eyesore in the solution. This has been mentioned before but is not in the list.

2. The ability in ARedit to delete anchors without it deleting any attached material. At present if you delete an anchor all material attached to it goes as well.

3.The copy and paste feature, if used when creating a solution, copies everything including materials from the contest level. This would be better if it only copied the materials from the solution, omiting the parts from the cotest level.
markmadras

Postby ioncorpse » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:10 am

4. Possibility in editor to create objects with already attached to anchors. It's very annoying, when you create f.e. long line of sheets and then you need to attach anchor to every node.

It was mentioned before, but not in this topic.
ioncorpse
Champion of Darkness
Champion of Darkness

Postby rob » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:20 pm

ioncorpse wrote:4. Possibility in editor to create objects with already attached to anchors. It's very annoying, when you create f.e. long line of sheets and then you need to attach anchor to every node.

In peters list "toggling nodes between anchored and non-anchored" should cover this. Especially if you can toggle a selection of nodes.
rob

Postby Votart Silak » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:02 am

In 2.1.2 Beta old bug! :mrgreen:
Attachments
Through a Wall.lvl2
(1.56 KiB) Downloaded 447 times
Life as a zebra: that a light, that a dark, and in the end - an ass!
Votart Silak

Postby markmadras » Sat May 08, 2010 7:05 pm

Just a few minor issues.

1. Reduce the field of range of the mouse pointer when selecting a group of objects so it only highlights objects directly below it. If there are two groups of materials close to each other it is near impossible to select one without part of the other group being included.

2. Allow selection of simulation speed before selecting start. When a simulation is switched to high speed and it fails immediately it is impossible to slow it down before the 'level failed' comes up , the only choice is to save and go back to the menu before you can start again at normal speed.

3. When moving any of the sheet materials up close to a Dillo the material can jump back if it is moved too close. It would help make editing easier if the material just stopped on contact with the Dillo as it does on a boundary line.

4. Introduce seperate controls in 'Level Edit' for selecting the size and coulour for Dillos and Portals and the placing of additional Dillos and Portals. It is very easy to add, delete or change the coulour of Dillos and Portals by mistake. It is also easy to forget what keys to use to change the size and colour. A drop down list with all the portals and Dillos on would be great.

5. At present it is possible to copy a group of materials and paste them into another solution but it doesn't appear to be possible to copy a group of anchors. This would be very usefull when needing an anchor grid in level creation, I've got a grid made but can't paste it into a new level.

6. In 'level edit' it would be usefull to be able to use multiple selection on portals and Dillos, only possible with materials at present.
markmadras

Postby markmadras » Fri May 14, 2010 10:11 am

A minor glitch I have only recently noticed, the 'Redo' control is not always available after using 'Undo'.

What is the limit on the number of 'Undo' 's could it be increased, I have often used it to clock back a solution but it becomes unavailable after a number (I've never counted) of operations.

Another idea came to mind as a new material, a wheel.
markmadras

Next

Return to Development