Armadillo Run version 2 available for beta testing

Bugs, new features and anything relating to future work.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Armadillo Run version 2 available for beta testing

Postby ddavex » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:47 am

* Advanced editor, with support of some script language? For example for portal, so it will not be static, but will move somehow.

Rather than complicated scripting, would it be possible to attach a portal to a node?

/edit: and/or make the portal behave in the same way as the dillo, they are both spheres after all.
ddavex
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby ioncorpse » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:20 pm

ddavex wrote:
Rather than complicated scripting, would it be possible to attach a portal to a node?

Good idea, and if object (owner of this node) is destroyed - portal stop moving or behave like :armadillo: :D
But this is complicated for casual players & in case of such features - there should be 50 standard normal levels, with usual rules & 50 'insane/hard/hell:)' levels which are available after compliting 1st pack.
Also it's a good idea - to open new material-features in editor after compliting some levels (awards strategy is already good implemented in a lot of games and it works perfectly if it's implemented correct)
Feel the Power of the Dark Side.
ioncorpse
Champion of Darkness
Champion of Darkness

Postby markmadras » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:28 pm

Peter, one small hitch has come to light. When a new contest level is opened any change from default with gravity and the number of Dillo's required to exit the portal is clearly shown but there is nothing to indicate any change in the material prices and/or timers & tension. Just to make sure players don't miss this it is being mentioned at the start of the contest but if it's not too much trouble it would be useful to have something displayed on screen to indicate there has been a change. What would be even better, would be to have the price indicated next to each material, tension and timer icon, then the existing price display could be removed.

Also, I have come across a small problem with the built in AR2 editor. I have often made a Dillo which will not delete, every time I have done it I have not been able to work out how I have done it which won't help you to solve this one, but there is clearly something wrong in the editor. Maybe other players have come across this.
markmadras

Postby peterstock » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:44 pm

ddavex: Excellent idea - it's on my to-do list.

markmadras: I'll make sure the prices are shown better in the next version. The other bug you mention is caused by right-clicking (to change size) but not moving the mouse before releasing the mouse button. Apologies for this - it will be fixed in the next version.
peterstock
Armadillo Run Developer

Postby stoffe » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:49 pm

Fantastic news (although I'm a bit late to the show ;)) - I never bought the first version since it was Windows only, and I don't use Windows. Whether it's possible to run anyways is a moot point to me, if it's not made for my platform it's not getting my money.

I will definitely buy this version when it's out! Been a long wait... :)
stoffe

Postby ioncorpse » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:29 pm

Very interesting suggestions from someone, called Penita...

Penita wrote:Hi everyone

First of all, congratulation for the game Peter.

I haven’t play de armadillo run 2 beta because I have got the game from a friend. But I like to do some suggestion for the “edit level” mode.
During the development of the "quirquincho" levels (which you can see en the normal level set) I had to add and adjust some timer or tension to specific set of materials, to do so, it was necessary to select EVERY time the mentioned set, between materials I don’t want to select, this make the edit process very stressed. 1- It would be very helpfully if it were possible to group the specific set of materials like, for example “Alt+1, Alt+ 2” (like most strategy games) so you can select them again pressing “1, 2” and so on. In this way it would be more easily to make some adjustment on timer and tension for a group of materials.
2- The second suggestion is about the possibility to construct in the pause status in the edit mode, resetting the armadillo progress when starting again, but in this way you can mark the specific location of the armadillo during his path.
3- The last thing I would change is that anchor point should be removable without removing the joint materials on it, maybe [Shift + right-click] on the anchor point, in the "create/move anchor points" mode, it would be nice in some cases.

I want to know if I was the only one with this kind of problems :D .

Penita
ioncorpse
Champion of Darkness
Champion of Darkness

Postby markmadras » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:06 pm

These are some good ideas, especially the delete function for Anchors. It would also be usefull to be able to place Anchors onto nodes with just one click instead of having to click to make the anchor and then having to drag it into position :) .

Peter, have you any proposed date for the release of the next Beta version :?:
markmadras

Postby peterstock » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:55 am

That's a good point about the anchors - I'll make sure that that's included.

I don't know when the Beta 2 will be done - the interface things are fairly simple, but the simulation bugs are a bit more open-ended so it's not quite so easy to estimate how long it will take to fix them :(
peterstock
Armadillo Run Developer

Postby ioncorpse » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:15 pm

Does AR2 will have new GUI(Graphic engine) or an old one?

For the last year I saw very cool examples of implementation gameplay-video-music in mini-games.
- "World of Goo" - like AR. Gameplay is lower, graphic is like flash (but very cute realisation). But whole product gameplay-graphic-music-jokes-atmosphere is beautigul
- "Braid" - perfect realisation of graphic-music part.
ioncorpse
Champion of Darkness
Champion of Darkness

Postby V4nKw15h » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:30 pm

I'm aware that the new bounce levels in AR2 have been brought up as a possible bug.

I hope this is simply tweaked and not removed.

After a number of competitions this bounce effect has proved to be very interesting and actually adds to the gameplay. I even like the height of the highest bounce, I think it is natural.

The dillo is affected differently depending upon where it hits the metal plate. Near the ends, where the plate is connected to a node, it bounces higher. At the centre of the plate it bounces considerably lower. This was obviously intentional.

The only problem I see is how much the bounce is reduced at the centre of the plate. I like that it is reduced but it's simply reduced too far. It's not realistic or intuitive. It feels like the metal plate is soft in the middle.

So my point is simply to say that the high bouncing is actually quite nice and works well to make interesting levels, but the variation in bounce across the metal plate should be evened out a little.

Obviously, this is only my opinion. Hopefully others will express their views on it.
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby markmadras » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:25 pm

You'll see here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2360 that Peter has the bounce problem on his "fix it" list and this will be to fix the irregularity not to get rid of the bounce. I too have found the bounce an interesting addition to the game but at present its unpredictability can make it a frustrating thing to tweak.

Out of all the bugs I think this is the one I am most looking forward to being fixed :D
markmadras

Postby V4nKw15h » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:03 pm

I even like the irregularity of the bounce. It adds gameplay, but it needs to be evened out more.

If it was perfectly even I think it would remove a little skill that I'm quite enjoying already. Needing to aim a bounce adds depth to the gameplay.

It's simply too irregular right now and feels broken.
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby markmadras » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:43 am

I agree, it's fine if the bounce varies from one end of a steel plate to the other but at present the smallest change of position can make the bounce go from max to zero, that's not very user friendly :) . Rest assured Peter is aware of this problem.
markmadras

Postby ioncorpse » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:39 am

Have come to one idea about materials - did you think about gravitation/untigravitation sources? Something like "planet" (sphere), it attracts(pulls) other objects. It can be substantial or unsubstantial.
ioncorpse
Champion of Darkness
Champion of Darkness

Postby ioncorpse » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:21 pm

In beta1 there is no possibility to copy-past or multi-select dillos, it can be usefull.
ioncorpse
Champion of Darkness
Champion of Darkness

PreviousNext

Return to Development