Spectator Levels

Discuss solutions to user-made levels here.

Moderator: Moderators

Spectator Levels

Postby Thrack » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:06 am

Hi, I've made four spectator levels, which I've uploaded, but something weird happens with the fourth level, in order to get it to work you have to put a material somewhere and then click undo and then it works correctly. Can someone tell me why it does that? And maybe you can edit it so that's not a problem anymore.
Attachments
Thrack's Spectator 4.lvl
(5.46 KiB) Downloaded 469 times
Thrack's Spectator 3.lvl
(2.52 KiB) Downloaded 402 times
Thrack's Spectator 2.lvl
(2.73 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
Thrack's Spectator 1.lvl
(2.05 KiB) Downloaded 397 times
Thrack
Thrack

Postby seanarmadillo » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:52 pm

Awsome ! two suggestions. use less timers and anchors
seanarmadillo
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby Thrack » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:23 am

I don't know how to build trigger activated componants to replace the timers with. Is there a list of them somewhere or something?
I've been thinking trigger activated componants would probbably be easier to deal with anyway, since the timers aren't always as precise as I need them to be.
Thrack
Thrack

Postby dudiobugtron » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:17 am

Is there a list of them somewhere or something?

Not really, but there are a lot of levels scattered around the forum with some very nice trigger ideas.

have a look at our design contest entries:
http://armadillo.metaclassofnil.com/for ... .php?t=396

or at any of the custom levels by seanarmadillo!!! :lol:
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby seanarmadillo » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:02 pm

it takes a little imaginations
seanarmadillo
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby Thrack » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:44 pm

I just found a trigger activated componant that I've used in my next level. Which I have finished.
Annoyingly it has the same glitch as my last one, so you'll have to add something to the level and click undo to get it to work.
I had already started on the level when seanarmadillo had made those two suggestions, that's why it's got all those timers and things.

What do you think of this level?
Attachments
Thrack's Spectator 5.lvl
(5.96 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
Thrack
Thrack

Postby seanarmadillo » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:01 pm

well there wasnt any thing realy trigger activated that i saw. but aperently you know how to use the force
Attachments
force kar.lvl
(4.17 KiB) Downloaded 371 times
mechanical timer.lvl
(12.71 KiB) Downloaded 347 times
machinery.lvl
(13.77 KiB) Downloaded 339 times
Good mechanics.lvl
(24.44 KiB) Downloaded 368 times
Triggers Of The Week #1.lvl
(6.31 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
seanarmadillo
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby Thrack » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:10 pm

I don't know why this keeps happening to my levels, but once again you must add something to the level and then click undo for it to work.

Level #6.
This one would probably be called trigger activated, it starts out with the armadillo knocking a large metal block onto a lever of some sort which causes several other things to happen.
Attachments
Thrack's Spectator 6.lvl
(8.83 KiB) Downloaded 402 times
Thrack
Thrack

Postby seanarmadillo » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:07 am

VERY NICE congrats its really good
seanarmadillo
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby Thrack » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:29 am

seanarmadillo wrote:VERY NICE congrats its really good

Glad you think so. I havn't decided on a good idea for the seventh level though.
Hmm... maybe I could find that editor someone made so I can make some other kinds of things?
Thrack
Thrack

Postby seanarmadillo » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:14 am

find andrew's post in level creation section . i have a good ideA!~!!!

http://armadillo.metaclassofnil.com/for ... .php?t=667 <--- try this... iv made mine. noo one has been man enough to submit there solition.!! yes yes i know! its extreemly easy solution. but im lookin for complexity... And it has a really sexy conveyor belt.. and yes those can be sexy...... and all the example levels i posted. where made by mee
seanarmadillo
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby Thrack » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:30 am

Thanks.
Since I couldn't decide on a good design, I decided to try building a battery for the game instead.
Unfortunantly the battery idea didn't work so I tried to build a power plant of some sort. I completed the design but I'm not sure how you could effectivly extract and use the energy, it's probbably not enough to do anything with. Not unless you can build a chargable battery to store energy untill you get enough of it. (Actually, I think those are called capacitors.)

I've also been looking at the possibility of building a transistor so I can build a computer in this game. (And then I'd install Windows XP and Armadillo run. And then I'd load the computer level with the two programs installed and keep doing that untill there are a trillion copies of the game running at once on the game.) :lol:
Attachments
Power Plant 1.lvl
(2.31 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
Thrack
Thrack

Postby dudiobugtron » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:45 am

I think that would be pretty taxing on your original system!!!!!!

You've got some pretty cool ideas though; on a similar vein - maybe once could start with non-electronic computers - an abacus or similar adding machine would be pretty doable; a multiplying machine might be a bit harder (unless you have log tables handy!!!)
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby Thrack » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:04 pm

Well, it couldn't really be electronic anyway in this game, since there isn't any electricity. I was thinking about the available forces in this game, one is gravity, kinetic energy is another but I can't think of anything else.
I'm designing a computer right now so I have found out how transistors work and they seem to work kind of like an AND gate. (I think there's a transistor in an AND gate that works like an AND gate.)
I'm thinking that maybe using cloth and kinetic energy might work.

And for other kinds of methods, I read about a design for a computer, I think a couple of centuries before the first computer. (Well, modern type of computer anyway, someone discovered a thousand year old object somewhere and it was technically a computer.) I think the design involved gears and was powered by a steam engine.

I'd like to build some sort of rechargable battery too, and I've got an idea for how it migh work. Making some sort of gear that can only go in one direction so it'll use the small amount of force from the power plant to put tension on elastic or something. Although I'm not sure how you would utilise it after that.
Oh, and I got an idea for a new spectator level so I'll work on that soon.

Edit:
It would probably just be the first simulated computer that would be taxing the system, the levels of repeated software might just depend on the capabilities of that simulated computer. Although the fact that modern computers use a billion transistors means that it would probably crash or something anyway.
dudiobugtron wrote:I think that would be pretty taxing on your original system!!!!!!

Edit #2:
Well, my idea for a level didn't work, apparently if you try to stack armadillos they just fall into each other.
Although I suppose I could still try building an army of armadillos. (But it slows down my computer a lot so I probably wont.)
Thrack
Thrack

Postby dudiobugtron » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:06 pm

Thrack wrote:Well, it couldn't really be electronic anyway in this game, since there isn't any electricity. I was thinking about the available forces in this game, one is gravity, kinetic energy is another but I can't think of anything else.

there is tension - as you said later, and of course the two most important forces, Rockets, and 'the force' - important because Both provide 'perpetual' energy. I would think any computer which was able to run Windows XP would need quite a few rockets powering it!!! :lol:
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Next

Return to Custom levels