New Level Set: Zed

Discuss solutions to user-made levels here.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby PeterT » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:50 pm

DJC wrote:So, do you not post your solutions?
I did post my solutions for the first 7 levels of your set on the official site now :D
PeterT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DJC » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:48 pm

Yes I saw, cheers. It's funny but in a couple of them you beat my best score by $2 but with a totally different solution. Did you do the last level Zen, or couldn't be bothered? I realise it not original of course but some newer players might not have seen it before, especially if they don't play the competitions.
I have an inferiority complex, it's just not a very good one.
DJC

Postby PeterT » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:33 pm

I'm still stuck trying to find a satisfactive solution to Zenith. I could just build some monstrosity, but I normally don't finish a level until I can finish it well :wink:
PeterT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DJC » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:37 pm

Well, both my solution (now uploaded) and the original upload by i.m. relied on truly uninspired timers, but Sangnoir has tweaked i.m.'s into a very nice solution without a timer.
DJC

Postby Ryo_Sangnoir » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:45 pm

It wasn't really tweaking. It was more "okay, what isn't needed?". Rubber out -> the cloth hangs over the goal. From there it was just "remove more stuff" until I got it down to where I could tweak it.

Edited to add: the cloth bug is rather annoying for further tweaks. The cloth the armadillo is connected to keeps going through all the other cloth, for annoyances :P.

I was actually quite surprised the original stayed on as long as it did. Tweaking wasn't hard at all.
Ryo_Sangnoir

Postby DJC » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:01 pm

Well ok but compared to your utterly destructive Zoom level it was tweakish. Whatever, it's a nice solution now that wipes the floor with my test solution (which took me bloody ages by the way). My mate was stuck on that level for days when he was testing them for me.

Have you tried the extra levels yet? I'm not sure if Ziggurat is just a complete turn-off that will bore people.

My favourite's the very last extra. It was a bit like doing a cover version.
DJC

Postby Ryo_Sangnoir » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:20 pm

I have a solution posted for Zorro. The rubber was very hard to work, I don't use dark force :P.

Ziggurat...yeah. It's pretty much "dark solutions only" and I don't do dark. Light is looking impossible - metal bars stop things connected to rope & outside things passing through.
Ryo_Sangnoir

Postby DJC » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:34 pm

Yeah your Zorro catcher needs some work. My test level is $240 for that one.

I thought the $5000 budget for Ziggurat would allow a light solution using rockets and timers, but also enable the darksters to blitz the score. Unfortunately I don't design really enjoyable ace levels so no one tries, except for you my old adversary!
DJC

Postby Ryo_Sangnoir » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:54 pm

Rockets - nope. The points where you attach the ropes can't pass through metal bars, but the armadillo can. It may be possible, but definitely not easy. I predict a dark solution will come before a light, if light comes at all.

Zorro - dark or light?

Of course, it's times like these that remind me how much I enjoyed Donkey Konk and Rearrange - fun & pretty easy, but with advanced solutions if you keep at it. Rearrange was a wholely nice idea, I want a sequel :P.

Re: Zorro catcher. Just seen it, I think. Missed that completely :P.
Ryo_Sangnoir

Postby DJC » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:51 am

Hadn't tried Donkey Konk before - it's a lot like Orjan's Boom competition level. I agree, that and Rearrange were great levels.
DJC

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:33 pm

(Correction: "BOOM" was dudiobugtrons ARFC A XII. :wink: )
There are 3 new sausages in your mail box.
Inhale my unholy powers - in the shadows of a thousand forgotten dragon fists!
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby DJC » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:26 pm

Sorry yes it was. Yours were Traveler, Son of Blagger and now the brilliant Cavern of Kafka, which has to be the best looking level ever made.

My mistake.

Boom was still ace though. I worked on that one right up to the wire.
DJC

Postby dudiobugtron » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:42 am

DJC wrote:Boom was still ace though. I worked on that one right up to the wire.

Yeah they were due at 6am and the time stamp of your last email said 6:00 - so i wasn't going to quibble. :lol:

Glad you liked it, although the ?rj does deserve some credit for coming up with the whole stopwatch-simulation idea (which of course is now defunct thanks to an ingame timer!).
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Previous

Return to Custom levels