Unpossible

Discuss solutions to user-made levels here.

Moderator: Moderators

Unpossible

Postby Mason » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:14 pm

Is it? I can't even get close to something that can span that far without crashing.
Mason

Postby tmcsweeney » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:15 pm

I think it might be possible, it is bloody hard to set up.

I can build really large structures all hanging from the one anchor point by adding tensioned ropes that help distribute the weight.

The biggest problem is that you need to build an arm out to the portal at the right which will of course be over balanced, but I think that can be solved by having a hinged counter weight that is lowered out of bounds to the left to counter act it.

And of course even if you could get all that stable you have the problem of gettign the 'Dill up to the top... <sigh>
tmcsweeney

Postby _l0ser » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:09 pm

I created that level.
I think it might be possible, but I haven't completed it yet. I envision some awesome creations as people attempt to complete it, though.
_l0ser

Postby PeterT » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:18 pm

I think you should have disabled tension. It's too easy like this ;)
PeterT
Site Admin
Site Admin

hmmmm

Postby squint » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:32 am

I've only submitted one level, and I first made a level that completed itself with no changes, and then deleted the bits I didn't want in the puzzle. I would never submit one if I didn't know for sure it was possible!
squint

Postby _l0ser » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:48 am

You probably didn't name yours 'unpossible' either, did you?
:P
_l0ser

Postby _l0ser » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:53 am

PeterT wrote:I think you should have disabled tension. It's too easy like this ;)

You've completed it, then?
_l0ser

Postby PeterT » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:25 am

No way, notice the smiley. But from my experience so far, removing tension wouldn't have increased the difficulty much - which mostly lies in the catching, not the moving.
PeterT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby _l0ser » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:02 am

I've had some great ideas of rubberized creations that unfold and balance just right to hold it in place, but having one point for all the weight to balance on really makes it difficult.
_l0ser

Postby Skrying » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:05 am

Its not possible. There's no way to counter the weight of the extention to the right. If the anchor had been moved in, and really the portal and 'dilo, then it would be interesting and possible.
Skrying

Postby Armadillo Man » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:58 am

I think that level creators should test and complete all their levels before publishing. When I start playing a level, I should be able to assume that there is a solution (no matter how difficult), but that the trick is to find it.

If the level is impossible to solve, all the time I've spent on trying to solve it will have been wasted, and I'll have trouble investing that kind of effort in difficult-looking levels in the future.
Armadillo Man

Postby tmcsweeney » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:26 pm

I think that level creators should test and complete all their levels before publishing. When I start playing a level, I should be able to assume that there is a solution (no matter how difficult), but that the trick is to find it.

On the whole I agree with you. Good play testing is an essential step prior to the release of levels for any game.

When I was setting up the alphabet set building the letters was relativley quick. Most of the time was spent solving each of them in a couple of different ways to get an idea of the possible solution space, tweaking the difficulty and then setting the budgets.

That being said Unpossible is a special case. Its name and the fact that the budget is effectivly unlimited made it clear (at least to me) that the author wasn't sure if it could be solved at all.

I like the chalenge of trying to achieve somthing that you aren't 100% sure is possible, and the sense of triumph for whoever eventually solves it first will be that much sweeter.
tmcsweeney

Postby BFC » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:13 pm

On the play testing thing I will agree 100%. I made a level yesterday and it took me many many hours to make sure it was doable in the fashion I envision it being done.

Of course there are shortcuts like destruction of existing structures, but I view that as a cheat.

Anyway, I'll give this 'unpossible' level a go :)

Oh, and take a look at 'Clockworks' some time ;) Don't think it's hit the site yet for download, give it another day or so.

-BFC
BFC
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

unpossible ...

Postby feeblebob » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:47 am

Im getting closer every night ... just over half way now ... will keep you all posted ... hint get rid of what you dont use any more
feeblebob

Postby Zoyx » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:22 am

I have no problem with the release of beta levels... or levels with no known solution. Just make sure that they are labled as such.
Zoyx

Next

Return to Custom levels