ARFC_DM_002_1way (until 4/10/09 @ 22.00) CLOSED

The classic league, for competitions using the original AR1 game engine. Recommended for AR Veterans, or those looking to bend the laws of physics.

Moderator: Moderators

ARFC_DM_002_1way (until 4/10/09 @ 22.00) CLOSED

Postby markmadras » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:05 pm

Welcome to the 2nd Dark Masters contest 1way.

The only thing I do not want to see here is the Dillo going through the plate or rubber as that would make it too easy. Everything else is OK :D

Good luck and I hope more people will participate in this one.

Naming convention is
[DollarsRemaining]-[YourFourmName]-[SolutionName]
Example, 1500-mark-mi2

GMT Time link: http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/
Attachments
ARFC_DM_002_1way.lvl
(5.09 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
markmadras

Re: ARFC_DM_002_1way (until 3/10/09 @ 22.00)

Postby V4nKw15h » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:46 pm

I just downloaded it and took a look at it.

I sat looking at it. I thought, "Hmm, dark flipper, round the corner, dark flipper"

I sat looking at it some more. I thought " ".

...then I thought " ".

Then I closed AR1 and wished there was another AR2 contest to do :)

No disrespect to the level. I just think I was already burned out on AR1 and you probably noticed I never bothered much with dark in AR1 because it was generally the same few structures over and over.

If this league survives I will keep an eye on it, and if a level pops up that does something new I might have a go. Maybe something like, make the most powerful launcher possible for $100 or something like that. Anything that makes me do something new might interest me.
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby markmadras » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:07 pm

OK Vankwish I can see where you are coming from. This may inspire some interest, I've done the same level for AR2 for Light solutions only with altered material prices. If this gets this League going it may catch on to have dual contests, or maybe just run this League with any contest the winner desires to host, AR1,2 or both.

AR1 bids will be :dms: & obviously AR2 :lms: No Dark bugs to be used with the AR2 solutions.
Attachments
ARFC_DM_002_1way.lvl2
(5.14 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
markmadras

Postby Votart Silak » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:50 pm

Nice level!

1000+++ :dms:
Life as a zebra: that a light, that a dark, and in the end - an ass!
Votart Silak

Postby V4nKw15h » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:22 am

Votart. I see your plees to keep this league alive :)

Unfortunately, it's unlikely I will have time to play in two leagues nevermind three. Last week I was hosting the A league and all my spare AR time was spent on the B league. I simply didn't have time to put into this comp.

I don't see that changing. I like to try and max out a score on a level if I play it, and that is likely going to take all of my free time if I'm only playing one league.

I'm not sure what to suggest to keep interest in this league. Maybe 2 week long competitions. We will have to just experiment and see what happens.
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Re: ARFC_DM_002_1way (until 4/10/09 @ 22.00)

Postby markmadras » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:14 pm

I have extended the end date to cover the whole weekend so everyone has a chance to do this, if that does not attract more players then I think we should close this League until further notice. It seems, at present, it is only myself and Votart who have enough spare time to play three Leagues so unless atleast one other play takes part in this League there will be little point in continuing with it :( .
markmadras

Postby markmadras » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:29 pm

Well folks, I think due to lack of interest this league needs a vacation only moments after it started :( . mi2 ran the first contest and only myself and Votart took part, then I ran a contest and only Votart took part.

Where has mi2 gone :?:

These are the entries from Votart for AR1 and my POC for AR2
Attachments
ARFC_DM_002_1way_results.rar
(7.88 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
markmadras

Postby Votart Silak » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:38 am

League has died :( It's a bad.
Life as a zebra: that a light, that a dark, and in the end - an ass!
Votart Silak

Postby V4nKw15h » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:48 am

I've had a thought. Instead of using this league for timed competitions, why not just have custom AR1 levels posted without time limits.

Then players can post their best scores in the thread, along with their attached solution. There is no end date, and anyone can post a level whenever they want. It will be more like trying to get the best score on the original levels included with the game, but obviously it will be all custom levels.

Players just compete whenever they have the time for the level that interests them the most.

These levels would never close, and people can try to beat the score on any level that they want.

It will be a nice home for custom AR1 levels.

What do you guys think?
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby markmadras » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:23 pm

Great idea Vankwish, atleast it will be worth a try to see how things go, I have a few levels I made for AR1, I'll post them up later.

EDIT. I've modified a few levels I had so they are ready to post, just thought, this would be best done with a seperate thread for each level, or it will get very confusing. Also, what would be a good naming convention for the new levels, all I had thought of was DM followed by _ and then the name of the level, like this DM_Tough_One. What do you think :?:
markmadras

Postby ioncorpse » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:54 pm

Good idea, I had in mind such thing year ago (a little bit different: winner is a person, whoes level wasn't beat in 24 hours, but for this league - your proposal is optimal).
I think we can try it & we can have naming like DM_UNHIDDEN_00N_NAME or DMS_00N_NAME (S means Shadeless). :mrgreen:
Feel the Power of the Dark Side.
ioncorpse
Champion of Darkness
Champion of Darkness

Postby V4nKw15h » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:27 pm

I'm not so sure naming conventions even matter too much with this idea. If levels are started by anyone and they never close, I don't think they need to be numbered like we do in other leagues.

Maybe it is nicer to allow each individual creator to name and number their own levels. So for example I could name my levels.

ARFC_DM_V4nKw15h_DarkLevelSet001
ARFC_DM_V4nKw15h_DarkLevelSet002
ARFC_DM_V4nKw15h_DarkLevelSet003

Then later I might create a different set called

ARFC_DM_V4nKw15h_LightLevelSet001
ARFC_DM_V4nKw15h_LightLevelSet002

This way, players can choose levels created by their favourite level creator more easily. If it proves popular and there are hundreds of levels, this naming convention allows players to use the search function to find other levels in the same set.

Popular levels or those that have recently had their highscore beaten would always be at the top of the front page. Older, unpopular, or maxed out levels would slide down.

The original level poster could also keep their first post updated with the current best scores.

I know I would find a structure like this more appealing than time limited AR1 competitions.

I would even like to see a similar new league created to do the exact same thing for AR2. This would help create levels that could be included in the final release of AR2, and give players an ongoing challenge if they were finished with the current A and B league competitions.
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby markmadras » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:33 pm

That all sounds good to me. Should we start this off in the DM League and maybe, to give it a clean start, delete the contests that have been run or :?: :?: :?: any other :idea: :idea:
markmadras

Postby V4nKw15h » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:23 pm

I noticed earlier that you are now a moderator mark, so you have the POWAH!!

Maybe you can just mark the 3 threads that exist here as CLOSED in their title so as not to cause confusion, while leaving them there for posterity.

Heck, those levels could even be reposted as new threads with these new open rules. Then they will get a little more play over time maybe.

We are experimenting a little still with this league, so I'd suggest that you just go ahead with whatever you feel is right. If you have a competition to start the ball rolling I don't think anyone will complain.

I'll try and help with a rule list to post with new threads.

Rules:
This competition is open to all.
You must use the AR1 game engine, not AR2.
The aim is to create the best solution possible for this level by any means available in the game.
Unlike the A and B leagues these are not time limited competitions. They never end.
If you have a solution, post your score along with your solution in the thread itself. DO NOT PM solutions.
The level creator will attempt to update the first post with the best scores.
In the event of of identically scored solutions, the first one submitted will rank higher.

Obviously the above list is just to help. Tweak it however you want mark.
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Re: ARFC_DM_002_1way (until 4/10/09 @ 22.00) CLOSED

Postby markmadras » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:31 pm

OK, existing topics now listed as closed.

I'll get the new levels I have ready up on the forum soon. :)

EDIT. I am just completing some levels to get things going. I think the naming would be fine like this as there is no need to put ARFC infront of everything just DM, so for example, DM_(creators name)_(level_name)_(level number in set) e.g. DM_markmadras_push_it_001.

Some of these "anything goes" competitions will, IMO, be improved with just one simple restriction in the rules. A few of my new levels would be completely pointless if pushing the Dillo through metal sheet (or any other material) was permitted. There is a route to follow and the challenge is to get through that route and not to take a short cut by shoving the Dillo through the barriers. This saves having to make a level with double or triple layered barriers to stop this from happening. Obviously though, some levels will be designed with the intention of pushing the Dillo through various materials as being the only way to get a solution so this rule has to be optional.

EDIT2. I just discovered with the naming system as above it will not keep it in the order of the level number in your menu. But, if you do it like this,

DM_(creators name)_(level number)_(level name) e.g. DM_markmadras_001_push_it

The menu will group all similar titles together and keep the level number in sequence :)

EDIT3. I have posted 5 levels so we will see how it goes :)
markmadras

Return to AR1 "Dark Masters" League