AR2 A 200 Grinder ('til 5th Sept @ 16h00 GMT)

The easier league, for smaller, less time consuming competitions.

Moderator: Moderators

AR2 A 200 Grinder ('til 5th Sept @ 16h00 GMT)

Postby bythelee » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:22 pm

Welcome to the 200th AR2 A contest: Grinder

Apologies for the late post. I had a level all set to go, finely tuned from weeks ago, but one last test showed that the "cleanup" after editing had turned it into a non-challenge, virtually self-solving. :oops:
It wasn't a quick fix, so I dug out another idea I had the basic concept of, and turned it into a "nasty little problem".

It looks simple enough, but there's a sting or two in the tail, ummmm, grinder. In true Super Meat Boy fashion. (Not that I've actually played that game....)

Above all, have fun!

AR2 Version 2.1.3 Beta is used, make sure you use the correct version.

If you download this level please submit your solution even if you think it's not good. You help us keep the forum alive and we might be able to help you become a better player.

Prices are not changed.

Submissions by PM.

Naming convention [DollarsRemaining]-[YourForumName]-[SolutionName]

GMT Time link: http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/

(And yes, it can be solved. I have a POC to prove it...)
Attachments
AR2_A_200_Grinder.lvl2
(5.8 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
bythelee

Re: AR2 A 200 Grinder ('til 5th Sept @ 16h00 GMT)

Postby bythelee » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:57 pm

I'm worried, folks. :|

Not one bid nor entry received yet.... I hope this doesn't become the first ever non-competition. Oh, the shame! :oops:

I don't even know whether Grinder is proving too tough, too boring, or too trivial for folk to have a go at.
There's only a day and a bit to go. Does anyone want more time?

I thought it would be fairly simple, so set this as a three day challenge. But the "sting in the tail" and lack of anchor points might be making this harder than I anticipated.

So please, now's your chance to sneak an easy win....... otherwise I guess the POC will have to be the default winner!

I'm reworking the other problem I had intended posting, in case a follow-on is required, but I really, really hope it doesn't come to that..........
bythelee

Postby decsystem10 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:52 pm

"Ain't no shame..."

The A puzzles have too short a play time.
Good or fascinating problems can't be done in the available time - well - not if you have a life elsewhere.
Contrariwise, the fast players get frustrated waiting til the end date on easier puzzles.

I'm stuck with the finish of 2 different methods here, but gave in yesterday because I don't have time...
decsystem10
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby Andrew » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:52 am

I've been away the last few days, rarely had cellphone reception for most of the time, let alone internet access... just got back today, I'll have a look at the level now and send you the winning entry in a few minutes :D
Andrew
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby KuzyaHG » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:04 am

I simply have no time now to solve this puzzle.
At 10.50 GTM 03.09.2012 I became a father of the little beautiful girl! :)
If you can't live by rules - change rules!
KuzyaHG

Postby bythelee » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:27 am

I was given a guideline of choosing 3 or 5 days solving time depending on how difficult I thought the puzzle was.
The first POC was a five minute job. It's almost a totally trivial problem until finding the "sting in the tail" - that difficult finish. :twisted:

Even then, I figured it was simple enough for 3 days only. I've even built a completely different solution just to prove to myself it was not a "one way only" problem.
None of them felt that difficult, so I'm assuming that Grinder simply lacks "attractiveness" as a challenge.

We have options:

1) I can extend the deadline for Grinder. Everyone seems short of time, but I sense an extra five days isn't the solution that everyone wants to see.
2) I can follow on with the reworked problem I had wanted to post. From being self-solving, it's now a real monster!
3) Andrew gets past the "sting in the tail" and wins it. But it's been well over ten minutes now and no sign of an entry yet.... :roll:

4) Congratulations Kuzya! :mrgreen:

In the absence of any pleas for more time, and especially a winning entry, I'll simply follow on with a new challenge in seven hours time.....
bythelee

Postby Andrew » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:08 pm

Sorry for not submitting an entry -- I couldn't quite do it in 10 minutes, and ran out of time.
I don't think it was level related, just people not having the time this time around.
I'll have a go at the next one..
... and
Congratulations KuzyaHG!
Andrew
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Return to AR2 "A" League