AR2 199 RomanCandle results

The easier league, for smaller, less time consuming competitions.

Moderator: Moderators

AR2 199 RomanCandle results

Postby decsystem10 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:07 pm

A very varied set of answers, which is nice. It was good to see the different methods of holding the 3 balls in the tube. I have to say a lot of my attempts failed because the Green just beat the Purple, which promptly dropped and failed.

First, then, and very important, the Heath-Robinson award for the most interesting low score answer goes to KuzyaHG for a brilliant contrived firstattempt which has lots of the good old historic stuff, including timers and pulleys. All it needed was a railway.

Wonderful ! I just wish we got more like this every time.

And no sooner had I wished that than bythelee worked an extraordinarily neat solution (with a nod to the mars sky-crane) that deliberately uses absolutely everything – timers, tension, and every material – harder than building an economic version. Just watch the coloured ball return.

So, eat your heart out those who didn’t put in any just-get-there solution !

Meanwhile, in the serious business of winning, bythelee answered very quickly with the Sparkler, closely followed by Andrew – both predicting they would fizzle out. Indeed, they were both overtaken comfortably by Kuzya(“its-so-hard”)HG.Then Alex sent an entry with a fascinating re-use of the slingshot to catch an errant Purple – worth a look

But, despite a late tweak by KuzyaHG, bythelee burst to the front by replacing the rockets with elastic for a great 3346 subsequently bumped to 3362 – astonishingly with no timers!

:lms: So the winner is bythelee with 3362.

Thanks to those who found rocket solutions, and especially those who tried multiple variants. It was good to see elastic and timers in there, too, and especially no weird force stuff.

I hope you enjoyed a different style of puzzle.
Attachments
A199.zip
(16.29 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
Last edited by decsystem10 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
decsystem10
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Re: AR2 199 RomanCandle results

Postby bythelee » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:21 pm

Well done guys.
Really entertaining solutions. :D
I love the rubber "snooker cue" idea.

And in homage to that geniusHG that realised both reds could exit through one portal (Doh! facepalm why didn't I think of that)...... I attach the OnePortal solution of yankee!
It lives dangerously, but at 3408 it's a big improvement.
EDIT: two versions posted, handling the coloured dillos slightly differently

Incidentally, I was thinking the left hand anchor points looked rather like "The Plough", but I have no idea what the constellation on the right is.....

Next challenge will be up shortly.
Attachments
AR2_A_199_RomanCandle.3404-bytheHG-oneportal.lvl2
(1.63 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
AR2_A_199_RomanCandle.3408-bytheHG-oneportal.lvl2
(1.59 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
bythelee

Postby decsystem10 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:10 pm

Incidentally, I was thinking the left hand anchor points looked rather like "The Plough", but I have no idea what the constellation on the right is.....

It's roughly the sword of Orion ??
decsystem10
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby bythelee » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:42 pm

I should recognise Orion's Belt, but I don't know his sword......
I did get the feeling that three of the RHS anchors might be the middle "belt" of Orion, but without the whole constellation, I wouldn't know.

Oh, and I hired some circus dillos that were good with standing on each other's shoulders to finally get the oneportal ultimate catcher working.
Many snap-throughs, fall-offs and hospitalisation mishaps later, they came good for 3410. :wink:
Attachments
AR2_A_199_RomanCandle.3410-bytheHG-oneportal.lvl2
(1.59 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
bythelee

Return to AR2 "A" League