AR2 A 340 Two-Trio (Results)

The easier league, for smaller, less time consuming competitions.

Moderator: Moderators

AR2 A 340 Two-Trio (Results)

Postby mark_man » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:19 pm

Not sure who the winner is because other than my entry we have Votart Silak who has used a tweaked original submission (I think) from it's description .
So I dont think my own as I'm the host will count or Votart Silak as his is taken from the original (I think)
Other than that we have :-
bythelee. 2858
Arunion. 2844
decsystem10. 2810
Votart Silak. 2886-Votart Silak-ioncorpse improved.
My own. 2892
I have tweaked decsystem10 up to the same as bythelee. @ 2858
We also have some nice assorted in between entry's
Attachments
Levels.rar
(5.4 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
I'm Just A Simple Man.
Please for everyone don't believe ANY scores I post .... :D :twisted:
mark_man
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Re: AR2 A 340 Two-Trio (Results)

Postby bythelee » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:34 am

Wow. :shock: Fabulous solutions all. Well done guys. :D
It's been a long time since I've had that much frustrating fun building and tweaking, and it's quite mind-blowing to see the variety on offer.
Feeling quite stupid now for believing my see-saw was in any way a great idea. :oops:

While the nitty-gritty "rules" details have not been fully explored and defined, I have two comments about the "finishing order":

- I remember the levels I have played rather too well, even though I "only" started competing somewhere around challenge 150, so "memory" versus "cheating" is something we cannot distinguish.
Votart might have missed/not understood we are going on honour to NOT examine and copy the original level solutions. We are all skillful enough, that we could all do that, and all submit the same winning entry if so. Besides, it was clear that the pre-2.1.3 version still had more dark forces in it, than what we use now, after seeing how the original solutions to the first challenge failed miserably, and would have misled anyone that tried it.
But I would not disqualify him for it, because he might simply have remembered the challenge and the solution that won it (unless maybe he said more in the entry PM?). Both he and Dec10 were playing back then, but clearly Dec10 does not quite have the memory for it. :wink: I have won other challenges in the past "borrowing" and copying methods from similar challenges I knew about, and likewise named my solutions in their honour, so I would give the benefit of the doubt about that, if there is one (doubt). Besides, reading the comments from ARFC-A002, it's clear that Ioncorpse's solution made a big impression on Votart!
I am thus happy for Votart to claim a valid entry. We know the solution at least had to be rebuilt for v 2.1.3, and I for one am very pleased to see it working, because it adds yet more exceptional variety.

- Likewise Mark_man's entries as host are valid. That was the whole point of replaying the original challenges - to let the host compete (in addition to easing the "creativity" problem).
It was an awesome solution, fully deserving of the win. That it could beat the best of the best minds from 5 years ago (2884), is likewise an awesome achievement.

So for me the official finishing order is:
1) Mark_man
2) Votart
3) me etc.

But this isn't so much about Kudos, as who hosts the next challenge.
Following "The plan", the third challenge is next up, and "someone" has to host it.
I will put up the next in sequence at around 8.00pmGMT today (Saturday) unless either Mark_man or Votart wish to put up their own levels.
The nice thing about re-using the originals, is that we can interrupt the sequence whenever we want, to inject our own new creations. :D
bythelee

Postby decsystem10 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:14 am

That scared me - I thought I'd started forgotting solutions as well as my own name.

I don't think I played this one, but then I don't remember ordering rhubarb from the supermarket either.

I do note Mark's tidy upgrade of my solution is the "furthest cleanest".
decsystem10
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby mark_man » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:24 pm

Bythelee that was exactly that answer I was looking for thank you. I would have just gone with the next level ,thank you for offering to host it ,this new recycled format we are following is fantastic. The 1,2,3 you post above is what I wanted to post but just needed confirmation I didn't want to pm behind backs .Hope everyone is happy and I myself am looking forward to the next one :).
I'm Just A Simple Man.
mark_man
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby bythelee » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:09 pm

decsystem10 wrote:I don't think I played this one, but then I don't remember ordering rhubarb from the supermarket either.

Yup, your memory remains excellent - it's harder to remember things you didn't do, than the things you did. :lol:
"Decsystem10" featured in the first challenge, but no bid nor submitted entry for this second one.

I have another thought though:
If Votart (or any player that competed regularly back in 2009/2010) is going to play regularly again, then repeating these old levels will be boring/disappointing for him/them.
The idea of recyling the old levels came from the three "regulars" (myself, Arunion, Mark_man) not having competed in them.
But if Votart (and maybe Dec10) feel it is going to ruin their game, then we'll have to find another solution.
Any thoughts? (I'm especially keen to hear from Votart / Dec10 about this)

By the way - the host is avoiding examining the results file and bidding lists, to keep the challenge as clean as possible. Otherwise, it becomes tainted by knowing what score to aim for. But this also prohibits seeing if the challenge is a familiar one for old hands that are still competing.
bythelee

Postby mark_man » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:48 pm

I personally think revisiting the old levels is a good Idea ,I will not look at the old submissions or the new until I feel very happy with my own way of doing it as it will only contaminate my ideas in fact I have no desire to look at the old ones at all :D
I'm Just A Simple Man.
mark_man
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby decsystem10 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:47 pm

bythelee wrote:But if Votart (and maybe Dec10) feel it is going to ruin their game, then we'll have to find another solution.

Love that "maybe" !!!

2 things - my game isn't competitive enough to ruin, nor frequent enough to have a say.
I like the basic idea of running the old ones because, as I've said before, it's too hard for the regulars to keep adding new ones (especially, as was, every 3 days).
And, as pointed out above, anyone can insert a fresh one anytime, anyway, so it's win-win.
decsystem10
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby bythelee » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:02 am

decsystem10 wrote:
bythelee wrote:But if Votart (and maybe Dec10) feel it is going to ruin their game, then we'll have to find another solution.

Love that "maybe" !!!

2 things - my game isn't competitive enough to ruin, nor frequent enough to have a say.

:oops: I am sorry, I kinda wrote that as I think it. But you've always made it clear that you were more interested in the "cool" and light solutions, than in the most economical. From that I inferred exactly as you confirmed - that your game isn't "competitive enough" for it to be ruined by the repeat.
Love that "enough"!!!
While it is "competitive", you're not here for the competition, but for the challenge. Hope that makes sense. I should stop digging already.... :lol:

I had in mind, that you'd apply whatever tricks and techniques you've learned over the years, to make a fresh job of it from scratch. As such, it would not be ruined, just made into an evolution, rather than a new challenge.

I apologise again for presuming so much - it did drive the "maybe". But I know for sure, that Votart's game will be ruined/spoiled by an exact repeat of what's been done before. Right now, the final settings of v2.1.3 were not present in these early challenges, so it requires rebuilding at the least, and might be "broken" entirely. But once we reach the levels where 2.1.3 was present, we need to have it sorted.

As for frequency, that doesn't matter to me. Fate will conspire that the one challenge you did solve over a three month period five years ago, is exactly the one you get the only chance in three months in present day to have a go at. You just know that's how it's going to go.... (Please excuse the "three months" - it's purely for dramatic effect. Use whatever timescales are apporpriate!)

Please add any comments or suggestions for improving the challenges to the new "sticky" thread in the AR2 A league forum. Thanks.
bythelee

Return to AR2 "A" League