AR2 A 338 Tutan (results)

The easier league, for smaller, less time consuming competitions.

Moderator: Moderators

AR2 A 338 Tutan (results)

Postby mark_man » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:18 pm

Hello sorry this was so hard ,we have two entry's and they are excellent .
Thank you so much for the effort you two have put into this .
1st we have Bythelee and a very nice runner up Arunion
Attachments
AR2_A_338_Tutan.240-Arunion-Catching Arms.lvl2
(4.98 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
AR2_A_338_Tutan.420-bythelee-emergent.lvl2
(5.09 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
I'm Just A Simple Man.
Please for everyone don't believe ANY scores I post .... :D :twisted:
mark_man
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Re: AR2 A 338 Tutan (results)

Postby Arunion » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:26 pm

The solution that bythelee has looks much more efficient than mine ^^ Mine looks very unpolished. Congratulations!
I found your level quite entertaining despite it being difficult. Sometimes it's useful to test your mental capacities :D
Arunion

Postby decsystem10 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:29 am

It was actually really rnjoyable because it was harder, and especially not a funny-force-in-5-minutes job.

Enjoyed wasting hours on it but only managed to parachute the left 2 in.

It's a shame that only getting 2 entries doesn't reflect how much was going on out there.

Thanks.
decsystem10
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby mark_man » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:21 am

Thank you very much for giving it a go I myself only achieved the same as you .I put in around 3 hours .I now wish I pulled this comp it was tar to hard sorry for that .bythelee makes very nice levels I hope his next one is enjoyable for everyone .
I'm Just A Simple Man.
mark_man
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby bythelee » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:48 pm

Aw, shucks. You're all too kind. :oops: :D

This was a fearsome challenge. But I prefer to have that, than a five minute "one piece of rope and one cloth" trickshot. It's been a while since our previous horror (was it my Christmas Tree from Xmas 2013?)

Tutan was made all the harder by "tweakiness", as tiny changes to something (like, the cloth catcher for grey) will completely change how the trebuchet operates.
But that is why playtesting and having a completed POC before posting a challenge is generally a good idea. I'm thinking we haven't really got enough time these days to do a proper job. :(

I have to confess, while it seemed like using the weight of the top lump to trebuchet two of the dillos over was a good idea, I was not convinced it was economical. Likewise, the catchers might appear cheap at first glance, but when you add up the double tension support to withstand the landing impacts, and the two "bouncers" needed on the right, I'm not so sure it's that cheap at all.

The bit I liked the most, is the Red flipper. That also "assists" purple over the top. That was neat. 8) The rest was mostly just hard work.

Now, for 339...... I'm finding myself somewhat devoid of inspiration right now.
So I was wondering, my previous comment about us simply restarting the AR2 A league, using the original challenges from years ago.... how does that sound?
I mean, it's on our honour to not "cheat" and copy the old solutions, but it also allows the competition host to compete. Which would help our present low numbers. We could at least get back to "one per week".
I'm not proposing this is a routine. If we get inspired, we can add our own ideas. But if we're lacking, like I'm feeling right now, then just pick the next one off the list. It also allows anyone and everyone to "host" as needed.
Shall we try one, and see how it goes?

Thoughts?
bythelee

Postby Arunion » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:49 pm

I really like the flipper as well. It looks really nice, the way it lobs the balls over. A nice piece of engineering ^^

I think reposting the old levels again is a good idea! It'll give us some breathing room. :) And yes it does mean we need to be honorable. Even though those solutions might not be the cheapest to begin with.

It would work well I think :)
Arunion

Postby mark_man » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:14 pm

same here I'm happy to start over ,but we should keep with this number structure we have now as I dont feel we should follow the exact pattern eg level 1,2,3 etc as they will be some duds amongst the compensations for example some big levels .You start us off bythelee ,post the dowload count before you submit the comp this will help me from peeking lol
I'm Just A Simple Man.
mark_man
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby bythelee » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:59 pm

OK, I'll dig out the first one. Numbering is easy enough - the next will be AR2_A_339_One.

I don't understand the concern about download count or peeking. This is going to be the original level 1, given a new name, so there shouldn't be any overlap of solutions.

It should be possible to get the challenge without even seeing the winning score of the original cycle.
bythelee

Return to AR2 "A" League