AR2 A 251 AroundTheBox Results

The easier league, for smaller, less time consuming competitions.

Moderator: Moderators

AR2 A 251 AroundTheBox Results

Postby rob » Thu May 23, 2013 9:20 pm

Time for the results.

While the topic has been pretty active we only have 3 competitors:

3th place goes to markman scoring 2364 going round the box twice with timed compressed rubber. That turned out te be way too expensive to be competitive. Thanks for sending it in!

2nd place is for KuzyaHG scoring 6930 going round the box 5 times with a very clean spinner combined with a good cheap timing mechanism. I actually thought you were going to be the winner but...

:lms: 1st place is for bythelee scoring 8016 going round the box 8 times with a washingmachine :lol: I really didn't think you would get that much rotations out of it but you sure did deliver in the end! Congrats.

For a poc i made a reusable pulley with a couple of weights to operate the structure.

When you guys started talking about perpetual motion i decided to give it a try. After all a well balanced spinner only needs a minimal amount of force to rotate. It had to work....

And it did. Right click the slow-button to make it go a bit faster because its horribly slow.

Thanks for playing and hope to see you in the next

Edit: changed bythelee's score because I missed his best solution :oops:
Attachments
AR2_A_251_AroundTheBox.8016-bythelee-turbomatic_x8.lvl2
(4.59 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
AroundTheBox.zip
(25.42 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
Last edited by rob on Thu May 23, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob

Re: AR2 A 251 AroundTheBox Results

Postby bythelee » Thu May 23, 2013 9:42 pm

Hey - you missed my 8016 entry, with a whopping 8 revolutions.
The PM was collected, was sent about 6 hours before the compo closed, but I haven't checked the .zip yet, so maybe it's there and you just forgot about it.
(attached here again in case)

Meanwhile, Peter Stock just collected his PM's that I've had waiting in my outbox for about a year! (Well, there was one new one about getting Sketchy approved.)

So, that probably explains my new-found moderator status. Peter's back - who knows for how long?

Depending how the "flood" of spam posts goes, I might take the advice I gave Ioncorpse, and start a new account for me, keeping this one for moderation. 'Cos moderators get to see ALL of the unapproved thread topics, and thread posts, and they outnumber the legit stuff significantly.
Attachments
AR2_A_251_AroundTheBox.8016-bythelee-turbomatic_x8.lvl2
(4.59 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
bythelee

Postby mark_man » Thu May 23, 2013 9:52 pm

excellent love them all, poc's unbelievable work :D
I'm Just A Simple Man.
Please for everyone don't believe ANY scores I post .... :D :twisted:
mark_man
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby rob » Thu May 23, 2013 10:06 pm

Ooooops :oops:
Sorry bythelee. I did download it but aparently I forgot to copy it to my levels folder :oops:
Luckily your second best solution was already enough to win, if I had to announce another winner because I screwed up would have really been embarrasing :oops:
rob

Postby bythelee » Thu May 23, 2013 10:33 pm

Um, yeah, speaking of embarassing, I feel like quite a tool having seen the awesome POCs. :shock:

Rob wins both medals with consummate ease.
I counted 11 light revs for 10021, and 12 dark revs for 12672.
And obviously they could have both been extended much further, had Rob been wanting more than just a five figure score. :roll:

Only Rob will know this, but I did describe a falling weight lifter something like his light POC, but using a flipper instead of a hoist. And using timers to release a variety of weights, rather than the "sliding production line". Doh! Damn, it all seems so obvious in hindsight.

No way would I have got close to a working dark design, though.
Very interesting to see the "constant speed" issue, needing something to release the dillo rather than a self-destructing option.

Commiserations, Kuzya. I built my pulley first, then realised I couldn't grab the dillo easily. Your snare was clever and well thought out, and I have no doubt the extra loops of my various washing machines and tumble driers could easily have been applied to your design, so you should have easily beaten my clumsy builds. The timing of the releases was so uncannily perfect, I'm thinking you either spent days tweaking or have some sort of "design" system. It was impossible enough for me to get the cloth catcher in the x7 machine to work, never mind a mechanical trigger and delicate catcher too.

Plan A for me was something like Mark_man's design, but it quickly became apparent that timers were going to kill the economy. One timer per rotation meant four or five times around maximum (because one more timer loses 6x200 = 1200, probably more than the extra rev adds).

It really feels like the worst design bludgeoned it's way to a win.
New level will be posted tomorrow (Friday)
bythelee

Postby rob » Thu May 23, 2013 11:02 pm

bythelee wrote:Only Rob will know this, but I did describe a falling weight lifter something like his light POC, but using a flipper instead of a hoist.

You did and actually my first try at making a poc was exactly that, a reusable flipper operated by a "sliding production line" Didn't fare too well with it though :lol:
rob

Postby KuzyaHG » Fri May 24, 2013 3:19 am

washingmachine-idea is more progressive then my spinning wheel)
bythelee congratz!!!
POCes are... are... are... I can't find suitable words...
I take off my hat to Rob!!!
If you can't live by rules - change rules!
KuzyaHG

Postby bythelee » Fri May 24, 2013 11:50 am

[quote="KuzyaHG"]washingmachine-idea is more progressive then my spinning wheel
[quote]

Um, no, surely not "more progressive"? Perhaps something is lost in translation, but I consider the washing machine to be clumsy and inelegant. A "brute force" solution, that is as far away from a progressive idea as it can be.

You could have wrapped more loops, more tightly, around your spinner, just like the washing machine.
And, used the same rope trick to take the weight of the bar chain as it unwound. This limits the weight driving the rotation, controlling the speed, and stops the chain breaking under it's own weight. I was able to use the chain to "open" the drum, but only after immense frustration with premature failures, or failure to open the drum. It would have been quite easy to build a similar chain weight release into the spinner, instead of the awesomely timed trigger, but this would have been at the expense of a revolution or two, so the score is much better with the seperate trigger.

By not having to build the expensive "outer drum", Kuzya's design was much more economical and effective. And clever. The dillo catcher was a stroke of genius.
It should have beaten my entries easily...... (I'll probably tweak it while the next challenge is running! :lol: )

But like you say, it all pales into insignificance alongside Rob's brilliance.

New level is under final edit, should be posted in a few hours from now.
bythelee

Postby Votart Silak » Fri May 24, 2013 12:54 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Life as a zebra: that a light, that a dark, and in the end - an ass!
Votart Silak

Return to AR2 "A" League