AR2 A 248 Thingy(Results )

The easier league, for smaller, less time consuming competitions.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: AR2 A 248 Thingy(Results )

Postby Andrew » Tue May 07, 2013 4:59 am

Level posted!
Andrew
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby mark_man » Tue May 07, 2013 7:39 am

thanks again I'm still a bit confused that it will auto rip to the right directory when I am picking them up from a folder other than the install directory ,also my install directory is the d drive anyway? .I personally just have a short cut to the levels folder on my desktop .And I will try remember to do that solid tweak :).
I'm Just A Simple Man.
Please for everyone don't believe ANY scores I post .... :D :twisted:
mark_man
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby Andrew » Wed May 08, 2013 3:19 am

To make an archive using winrar, just select all the files you want to add, then right click and choose "Add to archive..."
and don't forget to enable solid! You can set it as default, the only time you don't want to do this is if you edit archives a lot.
Andrew
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby mark_man » Wed May 08, 2013 7:37 am

yea that's how it's hard for me to do that ,I have on average 20 + files a level with the ones I want randomly within so I cannot just select also my winrar and win zip are evaluation so I cannot just open it and drop the files in .What I will do from now on is the same as before but select the files from within the folder I create and archive
I'm Just A Simple Man.
mark_man
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby bythelee » Wed May 08, 2013 3:56 pm

WinRAR is a pain in that it used to be free many years ago, but now requests payment. The last version I installed about nine months ago does still work, but gives me a reminder that it is not free to use every time I use it to decompress comething. I don't use it to compress, because I use 7-zip for that.

7-Zip is free, works brilliantly, and is available here: http://www.7-zip.org/
No hassles with any ad-ware or nag-ware either.

This adds a "7-zip" entry to the "right-click" options, so once you've "control-click" selected all the single files to put into an archive, right-click on one of the selected files, choose the "7-zip" option, and it'll then give you a range of things to do, including "add to [foldername].zip" (where [foldername] is the name of the windows folder you're presently in. I then usually change the name to the current challenge, so that the next time I'm zipping results they don't get added to a pre-existing zip file.
(I presume you're familiar with holding down Control while left clicking the individual files to add more files to the selection. This is how to get the ones you want from amongst your other tries, tweaks and fails.)

7-zip also handles decompressing most .rar files.

Lastly, I created a second profile in AR (the "change profile" option on the start page) to keep entries submitted for a challenge I'm hosting separate from the solutions I built for other challenges. Helps with that selection problem. Also, the "number first" naming method for successful solutions does tend to group them near the top of the list.

It's all personal tips and tricks, but it is easier for others to decompress the results file if it just contains the files without any folder structure.
For example, when I right-click on a .zip file, one of the options 7-zip allows is to "extract contents here", so if the zip file contains .lvl2 solutions, they can be instantly extracted into the same folder. If that just extracts a folder containing the files, then I still have to copy/move files around to get them where they need to go. I think that's what Ioncorpse was being irritated by..... :wink:
bythelee

Postby mark_man » Wed May 08, 2013 4:42 pm

I didn't know the control click shortcut infact I don't know any apart from ctrl alt delete, ctrl f4 and ctrl escape that's it lol. next time I have to do it ill try it the way you suggested or a combination of ways mentioned. we will know next time if I got it right. I personally just dl to desktop and unzip to folder then drag n drop into my shortcut
I'm Just A Simple Man.
mark_man
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Previous

Return to AR2 "A" League