AR2 A 236 Outside The Box Results

The easier league, for smaller, less time consuming competitions.

Moderator: Moderators

AR2 A 236 Outside The Box Results

Postby rob » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:52 pm

Time for the results.

Just two competitors but I had a great time watching your solutions.

Second place is for markman scoring 1748. He did what bythelee tried to do. He did what I hoped someone would do. A nice swingy thing flipping the top dillo up powered by the weight of the bottom dillo. Great solution.

First place is for bythelee scoring 1820. Very cheap minimalist solution for the bottom dillo and a perfectly executed scissorlift for the top dillo. Congrats! When he was done with his winning solution he made his telescopic solution. A bit expensive but a very cool mechanic!

Thanks for playing and hope to see you in the next.
Attachments
outsidethebox.zip
(8.78 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
rob

Re: AR2 A 236 Outside The Box Results

Postby bythelee » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:52 pm

I feel like such a fool. :oops:
Every time we have multiple dillos, I look to see if there is some way I can use one to power the other.
And yet in this challenge, not only did the thought not even cross my mind, I even commented to Rob that the saving grace was that the top and bottom could be solved independently. Doh!

Mark_man, well done for successfully building what I couldn't. The flippy catchy top thing was just what I had in my mind's eye. But by not even considering using the weight of the lower dillo, I couldn't see how to get enough counterweight to power the lever.

Telescopic sights came from remembering the half-dillo vertical movement of the catcher in DropZone, and amplifying it with nested cones.

It perhaps didn't help that PlanB scissorlift succeeded almost immediately on day 1. Chasing down such a lofty financial target always seemed beyond reach.
And then Rob tweaks it massively by NOT solving the two ends independently. Doh!
bythelee

Postby rob » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:24 pm

When I saw your solution with the bottom dillo hanging from an anchorpont just pixels below the bottom of your scissorlift I knew I had to try to combine the two of them. It's extremely unstable so it took ages to get it to work :lol:
rob

Postby mark_man » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:44 pm

I'm out on the pop and look forward to seeing them when I get in...
I'm Just A Simple Man.
Please for everyone don't believe ANY scores I post .... :D :twisted:
mark_man
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby mark_man » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:38 am

Well fantastic results , I did mess around with something similar to the winning up but never got it near .my fav was the 1758 hydraulic lift
I'm Just A Simple Man.
Please for everyone don't believe ANY scores I post .... :D :twisted:
mark_man
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby bythelee » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:21 am

rob wrote:When I saw your solution with the bottom dillo hanging from an anchorpont just pixels below the bottom of your scissorlift I knew I had to try to combine the two of them. It's extremely unstable so it took ages to get it to work :lol:

And there was me thinking, "Thank goodness it missed" Doh!

Your bottom catcher looks so neat, purposeful, and under total control, it hides the hours of "playing drop" it must have taken to get it working. (can't be "playing catch" when it takes so long to catch it once, can it? :lol: )

And yeah, switching from the bars and cloth to the plates at the top scissor to save just $4 shifts the pivot point from the anchor, down to the bottom of the hanging bar (which can swing about the anchor) so stability is massively compromised for that tiny saving.

mark_man wrote:my fav was the 1758 hydraulic lift

It's my favourite too. The sight of the telescope extending was so surreal I just had to get it working, and spent what it took to finish it by the deadline.
I had an 1808 version, but it didn't quite have enough lift, and trying to squeeze some extra height just caused it to explodify at startup.
bythelee

Return to AR2 "A" League