AR2 A 225 Simple

The easier league, for smaller, less time consuming competitions.

Moderator: Moderators

AR2 A 225 Simple

Postby ASAM » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:00 pm

Sorry, guys.
I were thinking about simple level with different way for solution. But i got a failure: rubber solution was too obviouse.
But we have a real Hero! He saves my mind with incredible 'bottom way' solution!
Congratulations!!!!!

The winner is bythelee with 1794.
It's incredible...
Attachments
AR2_A_225-results.zip
(9.3 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
ASAM
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Re: AR2 A 225 Simple

Postby ASAM » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:01 pm

I would say - it is really beautiful solution
ASAM
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby ioncorpse » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:30 pm

I tried such ways, but somehow come to idea, that AR with cloth doesn't go through bottom, only if cloth less than AR. Don't know why.. it was a wrong suspect. Anyway - last solution is superb! Congratz!!!
Feel the Power of the Dark Side.
ioncorpse
Champion of Darkness
Champion of Darkness

Postby bythelee » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:01 pm

:oops: Thanks, you're too kind.... it's only a pulley hoist after all.

Without the inspiration of Ioncorpse and mark_man and their chat about a "bottom way" I probably wouldn't have got it. So thanks to them, too.

Now, HELP! a big problem: I have three challenges to choose from for AR 226.
BUT:

1) Is probably too easy and straightforward - six POCs in 20 minutes - I wanted to find ways to make it more difficult before posting.

2) Is so difficult, I haven't been able to complete a POC for it. I'm not sure I ever can, because it might need some dark or breakage tricks to finish. It LOOKS simple enough, but it isn't. So posting it when I'm not sure it can be solved seems risky.

3) Is just right, with some amusing chaos. I solved it, saved the solution, watched it a few more times, saved it again as a POC filename, watched it again, then went back to the menu to try other solutions. Later on I reloaded the successful POC, and.... it failed completely! The solution was totally and utterly different. The dillos went in completely different places. This changed solution now seems to happen repeatably every time I load it. Other saves have also showed a different response when loaded again.
I do not understand this at all - it has never happened before. AR has always been totally repeatable and reliable.
Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? It is a large level, but not that large - similar size to "Simple", actually. There are a lot of dillos (32), but there were many more in 180-MeteorShower.

I don't really want to post an easy challenge, but the difficult one might be too difficult, and is POC-less.
Ideally I'd like to understand why 3) doesn't solve the same way when loaded from a save file.

I do have a fourth - a variant on a problem Paolof posted many months ago. I asked him at the time about it, and he was happy for me to use it. But again I think it will also seem simple to you.

Any advice, suggestions or preferences would be very welcome. Thanks.
bythelee

Postby ASAM » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:21 pm

win each possible contest and post all of them ;) all looks interesting
ASAM
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby ioncorpse » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:28 pm

3rd isn't good idea IMHO. Such levels are too random, no fun at all. About problem - open solution (solved), add something like rope, press Undo -> enjoy. :)
Feel the Power of the Dark Side.
ioncorpse
Champion of Darkness
Champion of Darkness

Postby mark_man » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:43 pm

First of all well done very nice .Why not do 2 and add the scores together
I'm Just A Simple Man.
Please for everyone don't believe ANY scores I post .... :D :twisted:
mark_man
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby bythelee » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:29 pm

ioncorpse wrote:3rd isn't good idea IMHO. Such levels are too random, no fun at all. About problem - open solution (solved), add something like rope, press Undo -> enjoy. :)

It's most similar ancestor is Truck. Which was won by..... Ioncorpse!
But I take the point - too much randomness turns the challenge into a lucky draw, reducing the skill factor. It may be amusing to watch, but isn't fun when you're trying to find a clever solution. Like Truck, I thought the dillo behaviour would be controllable enough to avoid the luck factor. But with 32 dillos, the chances for tiny changes having unexpected effects are high....

I tried your suggestion with the saved POC. The solution consistently repeats the changed, failed solve. I did only try adding rope, but nothing changed. The behaviour is completely different - the dillos drop in a different order, which I thought was not possible in AR. What I don't understand is that it was perfectly repeatable while I remained with that solution, I have two save files of it, and BOTH save files now show the same changed behaviour. Other saves of failed solves also show changes in the dillo drop order and position. My faith in the consistency of AR saves and solves is ruined. :shock:

I'm also wrestling with a PC mishap which almost turned it into an expensive doorstop this afternoon. I hope it is saved - looks like a faulty memory stick. Still reassembling after the troubleshooting right now.

I think I know how to simplify the "impossible" problem for the next challenge :) . If the PC holds up, I'll test it tonight and post ASAP.
I'll post the impossible level too, so the experts can have a go and/or pass opinion.
bythelee

Postby mark_man » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:35 pm

Sounds good .
I'm Just A Simple Man.
Please for everyone don't believe ANY scores I post .... :D :twisted:
mark_man
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Return to AR2 "A" League