AR2 A 058 DarkTower Results

The easier league, for smaller, less time consuming competitions.

Moderator: Moderators

AR2 A 058 DarkTower Results

Postby rob » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:35 pm

Time is up.

I was a little worried about this one but it turned into a nice battle with a lot of variety. We had 7 players wich for recent records is very good :D

Last place but very promising solution: DaveLloyd with 3180. Welcome :D

You guys sent me solutions using some pulley, rubber, rockets, double elastics and single elastics. But I created this level to make a point. To make it a little easier for you to find out I gave you a big hint in the title: DarkTower. Only the last day one of you found out, markmadrass send me a dark solution based on objectseperation. While you got very close to what I had in mind you lacked in height so your 4026 won't win you any medals.

In the end elastics won it from the rubbers and the rockets so scoring 6100 points the medal is for......................

:lms: Straubitude and Votart Silak :lms:

Votart used a dual elastics and Straubitude a single elastic, both very nice solutions :D Since Straubitude was first to submit his solution by a couple of hours I would like you to host the new contest. I'm sure votart won't mind.

Thank you all for playing :D

p.s. Please have a look at my 7200 POC :twisted:
Attachments
AR2_A_058_DarkTower.zip
(25.53 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
rob

Re: AR2 A 058 DarkTower Results

Postby markmadras » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:41 pm

What an excellent contest and nice to see so many players taking part again :D

Congratulations to Staubitude and Votart, I had completely dismissed using elastic as the nodes on the cloth when connected to rope or elastic don't go through bars :oops: got that wrong :( .

Well done to DaveLloyd180, you did well in your first contest wth a couple of very nice solutions which easily beat my first attempt :D . I am sure you will be working your way up to the top in no time.

Very nice POC Rob, and I was so close to the same idea just could not get the power :D
markmadras

Postby rob » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:50 pm

My launcher is your two dark launchers combined :D

But to get to the point. What do you think? Should this be fixed? It is a small dillo but even with a normal size dillo you can shoot pretty high.

Here is another example using normal size dillo.
Attachments
DarkLaucher.lvl2
(588 Bytes) Downloaded 81 times
rob

Postby markmadras » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:12 am

Ummmmm, not sure. What would the option be :? I could be wrong but if Peter makes it so we can't cross the plates/bars/cloth etc, over each other that could rule out welding :(. May be you should post this question to Peter and find out what the options are. On reflection, it does concern me that this technique may get abused too often and I suspect it would be a programmers headache to fix it so it could be switched on or off during level creation.
markmadras

Postby rob » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:21 am

Crossing plates or bars is no problem, it is only the nodes that are problematic. If it is made so that you can overlap materials but not nodes things like this are not possible.
I also posted this in the bugs/features thread and I will shoot peter a pm about it. Just want some opinions first.
rob

Postby markmadras » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:38 am

I see what you mean, it is only the nodes that cause the seperation force, silly me :oops:I wasn't thinking straight :D

If Peter can do that, that would be the ideal solution. Some may want to keep it but I am sure it will get abused and get used to solve too many solutions, a problem we have had before :roll:
markmadras

Postby rob » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:52 am

I would also hate to lose the ability to give the dillo just a little nudge in the right direction but this is waaaay overpowered. The rockets and tension were pretty cheap and this still wins by a mile. By tomorrow we probably have some more opinions and then I'll explain the situation to peter and point him to this discussion.
I'll try to find some more abusive examples of this "feature"
rob

Postby Votart Silak » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:25 am

Two winners! Very good! I glad to see you return, straubitude!

Rob, nice POC, but this is dark. It's my opinion. It is one of jackhammers version, besides and the cheap.
Life as a zebra: that a light, that a dark, and in the end - an ass!
Votart Silak

Postby DaveLloyd180 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:33 pm

Horrah! - I got the wooden spoon!
Is there a Wooden Spoon Medal :?: :shock:

Thanks to everyone involved for helping me FIND the compo and for the welcoming comments.
My congrats to the Winner(s) - everyone above me!
My apologies to Rob for getting ALL the file names wrong!

Dave
(I'll be a Newbie until the next guy comes along)
Lloyd180
The only problem with making things totally idiot-proof is the unerring capacity to misinterpret the ability of total idiots. :shock:
(Just out of "Newbie School")
DaveLloyd180

Return to AR2 "A" League