ARFC_N_XXV - Curfew Results

Exclusively for new players. Contest Veterans may not participate.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby PhilG » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:27 pm

Thanks CN Player. I'm glad someone else has been able to replicate what I did. I really didn't cheat :D

Please can I ask for clarification on whether my solution is dark? I thought it was more like using welding, which is ok I think.
PhilG
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby smjjames » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:15 pm

PhilG wrote:Sorry if I did something wrong, still pretty new to this. I didn't change the level or anything, I just put a metal plate near the top and moved the end node up.

If my solution is no good I'll happily concede defeat.

yea, its probably a quirk in the program because you have to sort of push the node up into that cloth which is right on the very edge of the border. I would accept that solution myself if I was running this contest since understandably you have to force it through and it could happen that it pokes through the border a little bit.

As for clarification on it bieng light or dark, I'm not really sure since the amount of force that goes dark is about the same as mine, and so I called it a light/dark hybrid out of uncertianty. Also, IMO the fact that the rope/metal bars suppourting the catcher can go dark because of the weight is to be expected, I wouldn't put that into the equation. Still, you sort of have to analyze it on a case by case basis.
smjjames

Postby Calneon » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:55 pm

New level up within the hour.
Calneon
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby NickyNick » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:01 pm

It is possible to place nodes outside the boundaries in AR v.1.0.1 (I had such long time ago too), and maybe some other old versions. This bug has been fixed in AR v.1.0.3.
Light winner should be PhilG, IMHO
AR & W:A forever
NickyNick
Champion of Light
Champion of Light

Postby FF » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:06 pm

I don't agree with Nick. The official version is 1.0.3 , so using bugs of previous versions is cheating. Calneon is the winner, IMHO.
FF
Light Master

Postby NickyNick » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:10 pm

PhilG's solution don't use any of things, which make solution dark (they are described in the rules). There's welding, but it doesn't cause immediate breaking of cloth; cloth breaks because of weight of metal plate. So, imHo, the Light Side winner is PhilG.

Anyway, host should decide it :wink:
AR & W:A forever
NickyNick
Champion of Light
Champion of Light

Postby FF » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:13 pm

But competitors had not equal starting conditions...
It's up to host to decide, but think about it.
FF
Light Master

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:36 pm

FF wrote:I don't agree with Nick. The official version is 1.0.3

Uh... I have Version X.5! Wtf? :|

And I have seen that bug too: To get materials outside the boundaries, rotate them. It was used in another contest here :D
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby Wizzent » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:24 pm

FF wrote:But competitors had not equal starting conditions...
It's up to host to decide, but think about it.

i agree with FF, and we must push people to use the latest version of armadillo...or at least the 1.0.3...
and after all, if they corrected that thing, means that now is considered a bug, and should not be used...
If it's up to me ( nothing against Phil that didn't make it intentionally)....Calneon wins
Wizzent
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby smjjames » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:29 pm

deciding whether itis dark or light was also confused by everything else that was going on since that level was actually semi chaotic.
smjjames

Postby PhilG » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:20 pm

Fair enough. Congrats to Calneon!

I've upgraded to the latest version, 1.0.5, (I was on 1.0.2) so that should cure it.

TBH I just didn't want anyone to think I had cheated on purpose. And it means I can play N for longer, the others are too difficult!
PhilG
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:14 pm

PhilG wrote:TBH I just didn't want anyone to think I had cheated on purpose.

It's totally fine (IMHO i guess, but others will agree - I'm sure of it.). You're new, nuff said =)
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby TSchultz » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:18 pm

Is it just me that thinks having someone outside the level boundaries (unless it falls outside) would just be completely illegal? I think the cloth was placed at the complete top of the level for a reason. Also, why is destroying tensioned cloth with a metal plate light, but destroying elasticized cloth with a plate/cloth dark? Essentially the same thing is happening (I think).
TSchultz
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:24 pm

TSchultz wrote:Is it just me that thinks having someone outside the level boundaries (unless it falls outside) would just be completely illegal? I think the cloth was placed at the complete top of the level for a reason. Also, why is destroying tensioned cloth with a metal plate light, but destroying elasticized cloth with a plate/cloth dark? Essentially the same thing is happening (I think).

I believe it is illegal because of the updated version. I don't think he should win either (even though he doesn't "break" any rules).

Breaking materials immediately is dark. Otherwise no (Ex: a falling plate/dillo). If the boundary was just a little higher Phil's solution would be perfectly light.
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby smjjames » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:47 pm

It is sort of complicated by the way that the level is set up, under normal circumstances I would consider it cheating if it wasn't for the fact that the cloth is right up at the border. In other words, this level is just set up in a slightly unusual way that makes it possible for that bug to happen.

If it was poking out and there isn't some material that is right at the edge like here or is generally overlong (which it doesn't seem to be in this case), it would be cheating.
smjjames

Previous

Return to "N" league