Level 31

Discuss solutions to the built-in (normal and extra) levels.

Moderator: Moderators

Level 31

Postby Gavranchet » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:18 am

I'm having trouble with lvl 31: "Hill 2". I've placed a Metal Sheet above the rocket to keep it in place, and I imagine that I can stop the rocket at the correct place. Any 'pin' or 'pivot point' in a constuct prevents the rocket-powered advance. So, using ropes, I've made a cradle that catches Armadillo as the rocket starts to move, but that has him much too low to succeed. I can then stop him in the correct spot... if you only care about the vertical. He's way too low.

I'd hate to ask for a solution, as such, but I would like to ask for a hint. Any hints? :)

- Gav
Gavranchet

Postby cagey » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:52 am

Think of it more as a rollercoaster with one carriage giving power and the second having the passengers ;)

May be a bit too much of a give away.
cagey

Nope, not too much of a hint!

Postby Gavranchet » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:33 am

I tried to figure out what you were suggesting, but every time I tried to make two 'cars' (using the rocket as the entirity of one), the weight was just too great and it wouldn't make it all the way.

The main problem I had with this one was that any device which I created that managed to capture the Armadillo for transport *also* sagged too low to succeed. I'm not sure how two cars would fix this problem, so I assume we both started with somewhat different approaches. I'm terribly curious about your solution!

Anyway, I did pass this level with *0* cash left. What I did was use a single piece of metal plate on the top to keep everything aloft. I created a rope and cloth satchel for Armadillo. I attacked the rocket in the following way: the nost of the rocket was attached to the 'sled' above with some slack (I just lined into space, then made the connection to make the lengh longer). The tail of the rocket was attached directly to the leading node of the Armadillo satchel. This contraption allowed Armadillo to transition all the way off the end.

At the end, I created a cloth and rope support underneath the metal plates of the hill within the struts of the girding. I suspened a metal plate off the far right end in order to defliect the path of the rocket at the end.

The result was that Armadillo would move past the end point, then be pulled up. As the rocket passed the top, it was deflected back to the left which pulled the satchel taunt and ejected Armadillo back to the left as well who was, in turn, caught by my cloth and rope suspension for victory!

I'll try to post a screen shot or my solution for anyone that is curious.
Gavranchet

Postby cagey » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:52 pm

Thats what i meant.

Though what you've done sounds cool.
cagey

Postby X201 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:16 pm

I've built that (above pics) but I can't get it to work.

The ropes are always too long so that the dillo hangs out of the bottom of the zone, or too short and the rocket cant get past the stopping ramp.
X201

Return to Built-in levels